3 6.00%
  • C75 SA, custom work at CGW/CZ Custom

4 8.00%
  • 9mm 1911

15 30.00%
  • Other

5 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which gun should I buy as a gift-to-self?

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Yeah but...Wilson'd Colt. You're going to be some kind of hybrid superdoctor, might as well get the gun to match.
    Sage advice.

Nephrology, you need to look the part.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    A hybrid superdoctor who will not be making very much money for the next 8 years

I have no problem shooting the base gun for a while before I save up the scratch to get it sent off. Will help me figure out what I want to do with the money, anyway.

Do most people recommend 5" or 4.25" guns for 9mm?
    Okay, you talked me into it. I guess go with your plan and buy the Colt.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Sage advice.

Nephrology, you need to look the part.
    I plan on it, down to the stress-induced hairloss and permanently baggy eyes...

edit: Bill, you are the right person to ask .... what base gun would be a wise investment for a 9mm 1911 if I were to go that route?

I plan on it, down to the stress-induced hairloss and permanently baggy eyes...

edit: Bill, you are the right person to ask .... what base gun would be a wise investment for a 9mm 1911 if I were to go that route?
    A Browning Hi Power.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A Browning Hi Power.
    I am aware that will be his response and have planned my rebuttal accordingly

edit: I will say that the price differential does make the CZ tempting... a CZ 75 SAO is ~$550, and the smithing I would want done is only another 600 give or take... roughly the cost of the Colt base gun alone. BHPs do not interest me based on my experience with the platform. Sorry, Dieudonné....

Site Supporter
    A SIRT PRO is my constant companion while doing homework.

I picked up mine from a member here, and IIRC, there is another one up for sale for a good price on our EE.

That's my vote.

I've been saving for a TRP as a reward to myself; I carry Glocks. I'm thinking about just filling out some other needs before putting that kind of money in a range toy.

Congratulations sir; you should be very proud of yourself.

Site Supporter
    A hybrid superdoctor who will not be making very much money for the next 13 years
    FIFY

Still, mud-phud is a good deal. Plus no med school loans, the real bonus. But busting out the PhD in 4 years can be a challenge. Or like me, you end up with a 4 year masters.

You will have about 3 months in the next 12-13 years to play. Enjoy them. Pick the gun you like to dry fire the most. Range trips will be at a premium.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If you want to be shooting it 20 years from now, and shooting it a lot in between, the Wilson 92 or the Ruger .357 would be the route I would go.

I know a lot of guys that have shot Pythons out of time, some of them multiple times. Finding a Colt smith is getting tougher and tougher.
    I was a high-volume Python shooter in the early 80s. My 4" lasted about a year between tunes before I got tired of the process. Sold it and bought an early L-frame. Wish I'd kept the python but being a poor young trooper at the time, I needed to put the money for the 686.

And I vote for the Wilson 92D

Site Supporter
    Has anyone suggested an HK P7? I think good condition PSPs can still be had within the originally stipulated budget. They are very retro-futuro classy and thanks to the squeeze cocking mechanism, easy to repetitively dry fire while studying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    FIFY

Still, mud-phud is a good deal. Plus no med school loans, the real bonus. But busting out the PhD in 4 years can be a challenge. Or like me, you end up with a 4 year masters.

You will have about 3 months in the next 12-13 years to play. Enjoy them. Pick the gun you like to dry fire the most. Range trips will be at a premium.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk
    That is why I am planning on buying something "nice" that will last for the next 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    A SIRT PRO is my constant companion while doing homework.

Congratulations sir; you should be very proud of yourself.
    Thank you!

User Tag List