3 6.00%
  • C75 SA, custom work at CGW/CZ Custom

4 8.00%
  • 9mm 1911

15 30.00%
  • Other

5 10.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which gun should I buy as a gift-to-self?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Which gun should I buy as a gift-to-self?

So, long story short, I was recently accepted to two very good MD-PhD programs (likely will be accepted to a third). These programs are super competitive and provide 8 years of fully funded medical and graduate education (complete tuition remission + a stipend with benefits for all 8 year of education). Obviously, I am going to on buy myself some sort of firearm to celebrate this accomplishment.

I solicited advice on the matter in the revolver subforum as I was convinced I wanted a wheelgun. I still might, but I've considered other options and now am really uncertain as to what gun I will be happiest with long term. My primary requirement is that I want this gun to be nice. Not necessarily Texas BBQ status, but I want it to be a gun that I will own 20 years from now and still enjoy shooting. The other requirements are below:

1. Pretty convinced I want a handgun. Rifles just aren't my thing at this point in time, and the rifle I want most (AR-15) is too...soulless...? to celebrate this particular event.
    2. Caliber should be 9mm or .357 Mag. I already stock these two calibers and plan to get a reloading setup to facilitate my lust for wheelguns. Not interested in .45 or .40 at present.
    3. Consistent trigger pull (DAO, DA revolver or SAO). I know TDA has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity, and I have nothing against it in principle, but it just doesn't really do it for me right now. Willing to hear arguments to the contrary, if anyone feels strongly about it...
    4. No plastic. I own 3 glocks - they are great pistols and I will probably own more - but for this occasion, no plastic.
    5. Must be able to take wood grips/stocks (see above)
    6. Obviously, durable/reliable ... I hope I didn't need to say that.
    7. Price range is $1k for the gun itself. willing to flex a little if need be.
    8. Sights must be easy to see. Tritium not necessary as I (probably) won't be carrying this gun. My glocks fill that role for me.

So far, the options I am considering (more or less in order of preference):

1. Beretta 92D + trip to Wilson Combat
    2. S&W 686 SSR or Ruger GP100 Match Champion
    3. Getting my (already owned) S&W Model 19 sent to Cylinder and Slide for new sights, action job, + reblue
    4. CZ 75 SA, trip to CGW or CZ Custom
    5. 9mm 1911? This option is less well developed in my mind and due to the price constraint I imagine I would want custom work but need to hold off until later.
    6. Other? Random ideas include Beretta A300 (vaguely interested in getting into trap), BCM Mk 12 upper (probably not because $$, soulless, etc), ?? Write in your thoughts! Spend my money for me!

Fire away!
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-10-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    What kind of shape is the Model 19 in? Does it really need an action job? How worn is the finish? Do you want dot sights or something traditional? Something to consider is the S&W Performance Center also does nice work at a decent price. But if the 19 is already in nice condition you might not want to mess with it.

The SSR would look nice with a set of Ahrends Tactical round-to-square butt conversion stocks.

Colt has some 1911 models chambered for 9mm for 2015. You might want to look at one of those as a base gun -- of course you might not need to modify it at all.

Colt Python.
    Won't make budget, but you'll never regret owning one if you don't try to cheap out.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Colt Python.
    Won't make budget, but you'll never regret owning one if you don't try to cheap out.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    You should see the Royal Blue Python I bought my brother after he got back from Fallujah. He's pretty much afraid to shoot it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You should see the Royal Blue Python I bought my brother after he got back from Fallujah. He's pretty much afraid to shoot it.
    You're one hell of a brother.
    Director Of Sales

If you want to be shooting it 20 years from now, and shooting it a lot in between, the Wilson 92 or the Ruger .357 would be the route I would go.

I know a lot of guys that have shot Pythons out of time, some of them multiple times. Finding a Colt smith is getting tougher and tougher.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Great.

Next, Chuck is going to make disparaging comments about Santa Claus.
    Director Of Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    What kind of shape is the Model 19 in? Does it really need an action job? How worn is the finish? Do you want dot sights or something traditional? Something to consider is the S&W Performance Center also does nice work at a decent price. But if the 19 is already in nice condition you might not want to mess with it.

The SSR would look nice with a set of Ahrends Tactical round-to-square butt conversion stocks.

Colt has some 1911 models chambered for 9mm for 2015. You might want to look at one of those as a base gun -- of course you might not need to modify it at all.
    The Model 19 is in pretty decent shape. Honestly, I am very satisfied with the job I did with the trigger myself, so I would say that no it's not really necessary. In fact, the only thing I don't like about it is that the front sight is flat black and hard to pick up at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If you want to be shooting it 20 years from now, and shooting it a lot in between, the Wilson 92 or the Ruger .357 would be the route I would go.

I know a lot of guys that have shot Pythons out of time, some of them multiple times. Finding a Colt smith is getting tougher and tougher.
    I definitely want to shoot it a lot (hence why I am sticking to 9mm/.357). Should have put that in the OP. As much as the idea of owning a Python is appealing, I might end up like LL's brother...

Can I vote for a used Model 27?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Can I vote for a used Model 27?
    you may!

User Tag List