Thread: Leupold VX6 Multigun CMR2 vs Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC3G

Leupold VX6 Multigun CMR2 vs Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC3G

Hey guys, I'm looking at optics for my newest build. It's a 14.5" BCM BFH Midlength with KMR 13 handguard and SJC Titan comp. The primary use of the rifle is shooting 3gun, but secondary (and equally important) uses include hunting and other general outside uses (SHTF, whatever). Our local 3gun matches are limited to 100 yds, so I've thought about putting an Aimpoint on it and just shooting in "factory" division. However, (1) I already have a 10.3" SBR with an Aimpoint and would like to have an AR with some more distance capability since it has a longer barrel and all, (2) Some of the 100 yd targets can be small/partially obscured and so a little magnification helps. Also, if I really get into this and want to go shoot a major match, it would be nice to have a setup I'm already familiar with and buy once/cry once.

So with all of that said, I think I'm down to choosing between these two scopes. I did consider the Vortex, but I've shot a buddy's and looked through several others (I work at a shop that sells Vortex) and it just never looks "right" to me. Also, it's heavy. The gun I've built is pretty light and nimble and I don't want to weigh it down too badly. On paper, the Leupold seems to beat the Nightforce in every aspect. Leupold is lighter, has longer eye relief, and has better FOV. I understand that the Nightforce is not daylight bright (and apparently neither is this version of the Leupold), but several folks seem to still highly recommend the NF and have done well with it. Looks to me like both reticles would still appear as a bold, black circle even if the illumination was washed out.

They are priced pretty much the same too. The only advantages I see to the Nightforce are that it's shorter and potentially more rugged. Then again, even Leupold's hunting scopes are pretty rugged.

Thoughts one way or the other? Hoping to pull the trigger in the next couple weeks.

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I'm in a very similar boat. Our matches start with a single "cold shot" stage that runs diagonal across the range (~160 yards) with targets that are sometimes small to hit with a red dot, or more often which are un-painted by the time I get to them and they blend in to the backstop without magnification. I'm planning a 1.x-Y optic purchase, and am leaning heavily towards the new Leupold when it comes out, but am still researching options. For me, my primary concern is not giving up too much in the way of weight and short-range speed just to "win" the cold shot stage. And, like you, I'd like to have added functionality if I attended a bigger match with targets more distant, or if I wanted to hunt hogs from a stationary position (right now I've only hunted from a swamp buggy, and the Aimpoint is great for that).

User Tag List