Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What pistol do you prefer to carry?

What pistol do you prefer to carry?

After your experience, what pistol do you prefer to have on your side, and why?
    It doesn't have to be what you are carrying right now, but I assume that if you have grown a distinct preference it is for a good reason. What have you used in the past that was surpassed by your current (or desired) pistol.
    How is the pistol performing compared to your initial expectation and what do you still want to change?
    What support gear are you using with it, and does it reflect the quality of the pistol?

I am kinda assuming an autoloader in a duty caliber, carried somewhere on the waistline, but if you find that you perform best with a 340PD secured behind your bootlaces I would like to know why an unconventional approach is working "better".

Here goes mine:
    HK P30 v3, Straight 8 tritium sights.
    Still waiting on holsters to come in.

Currently wearing an X400, as it is pulling bedroom defense until said holsters arrive, after which it will get an X300.
    Primary duty is concealed carry at 3:00 to 4:00 (I'm experimenting with a j-frame AIWB) for consistency between CCW, duty use, and when fully jocked up in armor.

It has the most efficient ergonomics I have experienced with a pistol. I am almost as effective weak hand as I am strong hand (at least as far as manipulations ).
    It is very accurate. Semi-rested with a laser I punched in a 3" 5 shot group at 25 yards. This is on par with my ability with the M9 and better than the G19, though I rarely do dedicated precision at 25 yards.

I'm not sure which grip panels I have in it right now, but after switching them in and out, I came to a setup that felt good with both hands and encouraged my thumb away from the slide catch while in a 2-handed grip.

I really wanted the TG setup (v4, I believe), and I may still try to swap parts to get it, but I kinda like the DA/SA as it keeps me current with the unique aspects of that trigger for when I teach those with DA/SA guns. Still, every time I drop a WHO DA press on the Dot Torture I can't help but wonder if I would have done the same with the tuned LDA.
    I considered getting the P30L for "duty" use, but after spending time with the standard P30, I don't think that it will really make any difference.
    I am really disappointed by Safariland's lack of offerings for the P30 (6004 with X300 or X400, and an ALS with same, please). I personally feel that the 6004 is the best "tactical" holster so far, and I really like the ALS models for exposed belt wear, and I really prefer to have a light attached if possible. Lacking these options I am forced to go with the custom kydex makers that (understandibly) take a looooong time to deliver.

I have used M9s, Glocks (G19, 23, 17, and 35) and P226s fairly extensively. Ergonomically, the P30 wins or ties on every comparison. I have had several M9s with better DA pulls, but the slide mounted safety/decocker (along with other issues) gives me heartburn. I appreciate what Glocks are, but the P30 feels like the Glock concept evolved, especially as far as ambidexterous use and control access. I am ok with "good" Sigs, but the decocker and slide release were constant annoyances.

Now, I'm not an HK or P30 fanboy by any means, but so far, for me, the P30 best meets my needs and wants.

Well, I've shown mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    After your experience, what pistol do you prefer to have on your side, and why?
    I had a NP3'd Colt LWC in .45 ACP that I was awfully fond of. The guy who fit the beavertail wound up being my best man, and that Colt was his groom's gift. I attempted to replace it with a .38 Super LWC, but even after some heavy work by Wilson it's still a nine millimeter, and despite how cool, quick, and accurate it is I wind up wishing it was .45. Hence my recent purchase of a Dan Wesson CCO. It needs some love and a long break-in, but I'm hopeful that I'll wind up being as enamored of it as I was that NP3'd gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Welp, my past regular CCW piece has been a Browning .25acp in a pocket holster. However, in light of events and new knowledge, I may have to upgrade when I return to the USA- I'm thinking Glock 26.

I've been CCW since '81 at which time I started with a 6" S&W .41 mag - IWB yet; because that's all I had. But over the years I've worked hard at the carry of snub .38's, .25 experiments for NPEs, BHP, P7s, lots of 1911 time, and several more options but the list is boring. For about 10 years or a little more it's been a Glock 19 and that works out to my preferred. IWB 4:00 mostly but a lot of time with AIWB also.

The final sealed the deal moment came with comparing the experience of running a TRP in action pistol matches vs a Glock 9mm. I could make fast Azone hits faster with the Glock 9mm and the magazine capacity to reload less frequently. Glocks always "pointed" well for me and their ergo's always suited me.

These days I have a slight preference for my reliable through 3800 rds Gen 4 G19 or likewise through 7600 rds Gen 4 G17 but one of the Gen 3 G19s would run a close 2nd with an edge for an RTF2 G19.

Warren tritium sights (optionally the .220 tall Ameriglo Hack front) and a butt plug is it for their exteriors. I like the minus connector in the Gen 4's which get the trigger down to neer peer of a std Gen 3.

I find these just the easiest to hit with fast and carry easily daily.

Some years ago I stopped concerning myself with caliber (thanks to DocGKR and David DeFabio for the most part).
    Last edited by JHC; 08-03-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

H&K P2000 9mm LEM
    Much like the Glock 19, the P2000 is the perfect size envelope for daily concealed carry.
    Big enough to fight with, small enough for all day carry.
    It's my do it all, go to pistol.
    A close second is my Kahr K9, what it gives up in capacity it makes up for in its slim profile and shootability.

I currently run an older P226 (almost as old as me). For me, it is easier to shoot it more accurately and just as fast as I can a Glock (which is what I used to carry, when I get to choose), I think mostly due to the DA/SA trigger. The controls do not give me any problems, in fact I prefer the location of the slide release to that of the Glock. It also seems to conceal better than a fullsize Glock. Not sure why.

Outside of this P226, Glock is the only other platform I have extensive experience with, so I imagine down the road all this will change.

Sig P226 E2 9mm DA/SA

Having actually used a pistol in a self defense situation, I appreciate the few extra lbs. a first DA pull provides someone who is about alter their life forever. I train with it and am pretty proficient with the DA pull (I love Dot Torture & FAST)

I love my USPc LEM, and it still carries more comfortably for me than anything, but the simple fact of the matter is that I shoot SFA guns better. So I'm moving to an M&P. I really like it, but I'm definitely in the camp that wishes Smith would make a G19 size variant. The compact is just plain too small for my hands and the full size can be a little cumbersome for somebody that usually has to wear tucked in shirts.

I loved my P226, but I never did care to carry it. Sweet shooting gun, but the slide stop is in the wrong place and it just didn't carry comfortably for me. But I never bought it as anything other than a range piece.

Given the option, I'd carry my Smith and Wesson 1076 again. However I'm priced out of the 10mm market.

I absolutely love that pistol. Excellent, albeit heavy DA trigger, and just about the perfect size for me.

I also like the versatility that 10mm brings to the table.

A close second is my .357M&P. Tack driver. Again, with the amount I shoot, I'm priced out of this gun as well.

Alas, it's 9mm for me.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Since 1985, at various times I have been issued, qualified with, or authorized to carry the Beretta 92F/M9, Sig P226/228 & P220, S&W 3rd gen pistols, Glock 9mm's, S&W M&P's, various 1911’s, as well as several S&W revolvers including J, K, L , and N-frames. I also have a fair degree of experience with Browning Hi-Powers, Glock 22/23 & 21, various HK pistols. I have been certified as an armorer on several of these systems. All of these handguns had both good and bad characteristics.

For CCW, a pre-2010 3rd gen G19 is hard to beat. I stipple the frame and add the Vickers mag catch, Vickers slide release, Scherer "slug" butt plug, Glock "-" connector, Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's), and 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS--SF X300 when a weapon light is needed.

For a duty pistol, I like the M&P40 w/ambi-safety and add the Apex Duty Kit, 10-8 magazine base plates, stippled frame and backstrap, 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS, and SF X300. I am currently running an M&P45 set-up as noted in the previous sentence; the M&P is the first pisol I've liked enough to compel me to abandoned my beloved 1911's that I relied on daily since I was commissioned in 1986 until January of 2011...

In all honesty, of all the pistols I have ever used the M&P has fast become my favorite--they are quite reliable right out of the box like a Glock, but are nearly as accurate as my custom 1911's. Most of all, I like that M&P's are modern, modular, reliable, ergonomic, inexpensive, easily serviced alternatives to a 1911.

I use the same type of holsters for all pistols. For AIWB/IWB at 1-3 o'clock the CCC Looper and Fricke Archangel/Seraphim work well for my needs. For OWB at 3 o'clock I like the Fricke Gideon Elite, Alessi DOJ open port, and Raven Phantom--the Comp Tac belt holster is also OK. I use a modified Safariland 6004 with shortened hanger and one leg strap when wearing tactical armor.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-02-2011 at 10:57 PM.

User Tag List