Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOT 5 brake fluid for rimfire suppressor treatment (makes cleaning easier)

Stupid question:

Would treating my pistol or parts of my pistol in silicon oil like in the original article help in either lubrication or keeping the gun clean? I can imagine at the very least using it on my fire control group to make it super easy to clean crud off the little nooks and crannies in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'm interested in this as well. I was planning on "pre-treating" .22 cans with fireclean, mostly because voodoo. It would be cool to hear from someone with good firsthand experience.

I wonder if this is a topic that Dr. Bill could drop some science on.
    If using FC inside a suppressor, use very light coats, allowing them to completely dry before applying the next.
    It has a high burn point, but once it does, it becomes pretty damn hard (only noticed when I shot the can "wet" with it).
    I use it to reduce carbon accumulation in/on suppressor mounts for 5.56 and 7.62 rifles that are shot pretty extensively and get hot.
    Think that properly applied it should be very effective on further baffles inside a .22 can.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Stupid question:

Would treating my pistol or parts of my pistol in silicon oil like in the original article help in either lubrication or keeping the gun clean? I can imagine at the very least using it on my fire control group to make it super easy to clean crud off the little nooks and crannies in there.
    It would not help and you're probably way overthinking cleaning your pistol. Clean your pistol every 1k -2 rounds or so by blasting it (outside) with non chlorinated brake cleaner. Then relube it. Repeat.
    #RESIST

I picked up some FireClean and am going to give it a try on my next .22 can cleaning. I'm hoping for the best.

My suppressor is a Tactical Innovations TAC65 that I have been surprisingly impressed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I picked up some FireClean and am going to give it a try on my next .22 can cleaning. I'm hoping for the best.

My suppressor is a Tactical Innovations TAC65 that I have been surprisingly impressed with.
    FC does best when applied before firing, and used continuously thereafter.
    As a straight cleaner it's ok, but not as aggressive as the less environmentally friendly stuff.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've been following a thread on another forum about the rebuilds Gemtech is doing; I would jump on that if I were you.
    Well, I finally broke down and ordered the upgrade. Now to mail my can off to Idaho and wait.

Also, LL have you seen any info on doing the silicone oil pre-treat with aluminum parts? The article only mentions stainless and inconel, and specifically says he hasn't played with aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Also, LL have you seen any info on doing the silicone oil pre-treat with aluminum parts? The article only mentions stainless and inconel, and specifically says he hasn't played with aluminum.
    I've seen it somewhere and did the same to my aluminum can (Warlock II). I'll let you know how it looks once I shoot a few hundred more rounds through it. I wasn't impressed with Fireclean on my Spectre II and the silicone oil is not miraculous but it is orders of magnitude better than Fireclean on suppressors in my experience.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Stupid question:

I sincerely doubt it. Just hose it out with non chlorinated brake (outside) every 1k rounds or so and relube with a quality lube.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Well, I finally broke down and ordered the upgrade. Now to mail my can off to Idaho and wait.

I've been looking at doing the Gemtech upgrade for my OutbackII. I be psyched to hear your impressions when you get it back.

t

User Tag List