Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DOT 5 brake fluid for rimfire suppressor treatment (makes cleaning easier)

DOT 5 brake fluid for rimfire suppressor treatment (makes cleaning easier)

#RESIST

Thanks!
    Good read, but I think the thought of using this method still has me strongly considering a soda blasting chamber.
    I just need to find a place to keep the frigging thing.

I will be trying this technique first when I (someday) get my .22 cans.
    #RESIST

The awesomeness of shooting one does somehow offset the soul crushing task of cleaning them.
    Love my sparrow, plan on picking up a Ryder in hopes that it restores my faith in Surefire that they can produce a 'quiet' can. My 556 can from them is my single largest regrettable firearms purchase.

I love the article and the experimentation he's done, but he almost blows away his credibility with this line: "Seems that when silicone oil gets on a metal surface, it’s nearly impossible to completely remove from the pores of the metal...".

Ugh. Still, good tip.

The pores comment makes me wanna kick my monitor.

Otherwise the spray I use in my SS Sparrow is silicone based and works very well. Never needed more than a quick wipe. I also don't shoot more than 500 rounds before cleaning it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I love the article and the experimentation he's done, but he almost blows away his credibility with this line: "Seems that when silicone oil gets on a metal surface, it’s nearly impossible to completely remove from the pores of the metal...".

Ugh. Still, good tip.
    I've seen people "clean" an LAV's CARC paint with Armorall and while it looked good for a while, later on, new coats of paint would not stick. It was explained to me that the silicone in Armorall did this.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Auto body shops hate Armorall, many won't even allow it in the shops. It carries pretty far, much further than you'd imagine, and has ruined a lot of paint jobs.

Good to know about the silicon oil. My current cleaning process is pretty simple and quick. A pressurized stream of 100LL, compressed air to air dry, re-oil with either Gun Butter or Corrosion-X and a quick wipe down. I can easily clean my P-35 in under 10 minutes. At $6.50/gal, it's a cheap solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Good to know about the silicon oil. My current cleaning process is pretty simple and quick. A pressurized stream of 100LL, compressed air to air dry, re-oil with either Gun Butter or Corrosion-X and a quick wipe down. I can easily clean my P-35 in under 10 minutes. At $6.50/gal, it's a cheap solvent.
    Suppressors are a bit harder to clean, especially rimfire
    #RESIST

User Tag List