Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Knives for Primary Self Defense

Okay that's the Universal Grip Implement, UGI. Ban Tang custom, not a ShivWorks design. I tested the proto and Ban made me one after a couple of tweaks. It's pretty slick. It can be run in a thumb side (forward) grip like a push dagger or in a reverse grip like a hybrid kerambit/pakal. It's double edged so probably illegal in most places but the drain itself rocks. I like it alot.

Rob, thank you for posting the exact photo link....much appreciated.

Thank you as well, Craig, both for your comments now and the design of the clinch pick.

Currently nothing on the market with a single edge and the UGI style grip. Closest thing I'm seeing would be the Spyderco Swick 4. I could reshape the tang on it a bit then build a G10 egg grip. Life on a budget but knife builds are fun.

http://www.google.com/search?q=spyde...59%3B420%3B304
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Has anyone used one of these? I bought one and it seems to work pretty well.

http://www.osograndeknives.com/catal...ent-25319.html
    Lots of folks can burn you custom kydex that activates the wave on an Emerson folder, I think I have seen about a dozen different designs, most will be smaller than that design. That said, if you're going to carry a folder in a sheath, it's probably just as easy, if not easier, to carry a Clinch Pick or similar small fixed blade design of your choice. If there are legal reasons for not carrying a fixed blade, a wave-activating sheath or having a sheath built to hold a locked open folder, would be good ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Okay that's the Universal Grip Implement, UGI. Ban Tang custom, not a ShivWorks design. I tested the proto and Ban made me one after a couple of tweaks. It's pretty slick. It can be run in a thumb side (forward) grip like a push dagger or in a reverse grip like a hybrid kerambit/pakal. It's double edged so probably illegal in most places but the drain itself rocks. I like it alot.
    So...I guess I do need one of these. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by GK17 View Post
    Rob, thank you for posting the exact photo link....much appreciated.

Thank you as well, Craig, both for your comments now and the design of the clinch pick.

Currently nothing on the market with a single edge and the UGI style grip. Closest thing I'm seeing would be the Spyderco Swick 4. I could reshape the tang on it a bit then build a G10 egg grip. Life on a budget but knife builds are fun.

http://www.google.com/search?q=spyde...59%3B420%3B304
    I'm sure if you contact Ban, he would be willing to work with you on doing a single-edged design. The trick is picking which edge you want on your blade. He's a quality guy and great to work with and his prices for custom ground S35V are crazy good.

-Rob

GK17 like Rob said, Ban could make it anyway you want so reach out to him if you're interested. He and Ian Wendt are my top two favorites for small fixed blades.

Thanks again Rob & Craig.

If you want a single edge knife with a pistol grip, why not the KABAR TDI?

Dropkick; The TDI has the potential to allow me to reshape the tang and build clinch pick style scales but the UGI's blade to grip angle combined with its narrow choil seems like it might be a little more functional for grip variations and punch stabs without sacrificing much slash capability. For a pure fighting weapon Ban's UGI blade looks impressive but a single-edged blade would be easier to convince a jury was being carried for utility purposes.

Here's a link to Ban's introduction thread for the UGI on Blade-Forum. Nice pics and note the grip variants.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Grip-Implement
    Last edited by GK17; 03-13-2015 at 04:23 PM.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ban's stuff. I have one of his Clinch Picks, have a Super Loco on order, and I got to handle one of the UGIs at SouthNarc's EWO class. But double edge / push dagger is legally a no-go for me currently.

I wasn't sure of what you were talking about earlier, or what you were looking for, but I was hoping to help or at least understand.

I just received this nice carry knife. I really like it. I did have to round off the back edge of the blade near the handle to make sure I don't cut myself when clinching it.
    Great holster, adjustable 360 degrees. Only thing that would make it better is being ambidextrous.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/115171063246096811918/albums/6127653340989239857

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List