Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Knives for Primary Self Defense

Thanks for the heads up. If I were to get one, I was leaning towards the Fox.

I have to admit though, I am an unabashed fan of Cold Steel, and have been since '95 or so. I may pick up their new Karambit folder that's coming out.

I must say that I am not a huge fan of the wave feature. It's kind of hit or miss depending on the knife, the pants, and never mind trying to get it out while seated...

Seeing Steve Tarani or Doug Marcaida whip out a waved karambit is pretty freakin' cool, though.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-11-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Talking about specific knives, I have always been a big fan of the Yojimbo/Yojimbo2 from Spyderco. I like it from a simplicity standpoint, as well as being well under the 4" blade laws of some states.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. If I were to get one, I was leaning towards the Fox.

I have to admit though, I am an unabashed fan of Cold Steel, and have been since '95 or so. I may pick up their new Karambit folder that's coming out.

I must say that I am not a huge fan of the wave feature. It's kind of hit or miss depending on the knife, the pants, and never mind trying to get it out while seated...

Seeing Steve Tarani or Doug Marcaida whip out a waved karambit is pretty freakin' cool, though.
    Not only do I have some serious issues with Lynn Thompson on a personal level as a spineless scumbag (and yes, I have confronted him personally), but he was also a huge crap talker about karambits until he decided to ride the wave. I used to be a fan as well, and if you want to buy an old school Imperial Tanto set, let me know. Essentially, the last karambit I would use is one made for Cold Steel.

Just FYI, Steve Tarani is big on two handed opening on folders. I use a two hand opening on my folding Karambit as it is very positive, and it puts my hands in the right place. Last weekend I was running .89 on the timer from front appendix under a t-shirt on deployment.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I've met a lot of guys in the knife industry, being located in Arkansas, and I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Lynn Thompson, so you are certainly not alone. I will say this for the record though - I've had much better luck with Cold Steel's knives than I have a lot of other brands, some of them being talked about here. I've never owned an Emerson that didn't have lock issues, and I've had many. Mr. Emerson and his wife are wonderful people, though.

Overall I guess I would prefer to buy a knife made in USA by a really nice guy and have it be super awesome for a really low price, but that never seems to happen...

Back on topic -

Since most in this thread seem to be okeydokey with carrying a knife for self defense, what would be some good recommendations for a simple training program and folder to go along with it, for the "average" person? I personally am a fan of the stuff Kelly MCcann and the late Bob Kasper used to teach.

I actually have four of the 5.11 Cub 2.0 Karambits. I bought one a few months back and like it so much I snagged 3 more when I found a good deal. They got a bit more curve/angle then a lot of Karambits and I like that. I am also doing the two handed opening with them (though not quite as quickly as Nyeti...yet). If you absolutely require a one handed open they do have a nice "Spydie" hole and I also have seen some guys put a wave on them by removing so material around the hole AND the zip tie method works with them too. I have personally tried neither so I can't vouch for the reliability of either method. To sum up, I think they are a great knife especially considering the $$$.

As far as training, I am definitely no SME, but having recently taken Tarani's improvised and edged weapons course, I thought the concepts were both simple and brilliant. They were very easily applicable for someone with a low level of training like me. They definitely left me hungry for more and I will be taking his full edged weapons class the next chance I get.

I am also taking Southnarc's ECQC in May, and while I obviously haven't taken it yet, I think it would be hard to go wrong with that based on reputation alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    what would be some good recommendations for a simple training program
    Same thing I am wondering about as I would like to try out some kind of edge weapon training. While researching local schools (Houston) via the web, I am not sure if I can take any of them seriously when every other word on all of their websites is tactical, real world, reality based.

About 15-17 years ago I got into the WW11 combatives stuff that had made a resurgance with guys like Carl Cestari and Kelly MCcann. I really liked the simplicity of it. I don't know if anyone else is teaching it now or not. Some of Mike Janich's stuff follows the old Applegate/Fairbarn stuff pretty close, IIRC.

I've got a 2" blade clinch pick on my keychain and have seen photos online of a variant with a bird's head revolver grip that seems to combine some of the functions of a karambit and a push knife while still capable of utility use. Would appreciate any thoughts/comments on this design for EDC.
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

FWIW, I have been following Southnarc's stuff for about five years now. I like the Shivworks integrative curriculum. Particularly that it is about dominating an opponent and controlling the situation first, and weapon access and use later. It has changed the way I think about fighting by shifting it from hardware to software and putting my brain in the right place. This is really a shift continuing from competitve fencing I left about four years ago. It may seem silly, but fencing taught me great basics, ranging a target, accuracy, and tactics, all with a blade. Trying to stab someone who is trying to stab you back, will make you work at thinking about how to do it. I would not hesitate to work with Craig Douglas and Shivworks, Michael Janich at Martial Blade Concepts, or any edged weapons work with Ernest Emerson.

An anecdote from my youth. One afternoon, I was involved in, what could have turned into a bad fight. I'll keep it brief, but suffice to say someone called a friend and I some derogatory terms in a parking lot and I, as an infinitely stupid teenager, gave him a polite gesture in response. The word-slinger didn't appreciate my gesture and went to his car and retrieved a tire iron. I, in kind, pulled out a Smith and Wesson SWAT tactical folder with a 4" blade and popped it open. Mr. Tire Iron decided that getting stabbed was not on his to do list that day and went back to his car and left. I turned around, expecting my friend to be there to back me up, only to find he had vanished during the lead up to the (non)fight. I learned three things that day - 1) People don't want to get stabbed. 2) Keep your middle finger to yourself. 3) I needed new friends.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by GK17 View Post
    I've got a 2" blade clinch pick on my keychain and have seen photos online of a variant with a bird's head revolver grip that seems to combine some of the functions of a karambit and a push knife while still capable of utility use. Would appreciate any thoughts/comments on this design for EDC.
    Wuuut?
    Could you post, or link to pics of what you're talking about?

User Tag List