Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives for Primary Self Defense

Knives for Primary Self Defense

I wasn't quite sure where to post this - sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

What's everyone's thoughts on edged weapons for defensive use? I am mainly concerned with the liability/media perception aspect.

I find myself in NPE's quite regularly, at least as far as firearms go. In many of these environments, knives are fine, especially folders. I have carried a folder on me since I was a kid, but I never really felt too comfortable with the thought of using one for defense, even though I have taken a few edged weapon courses and seminars over the years (anyone remember Erik Remmen and Bram Frank?) - my main hangup has always been the public perception of knives in general, vs. lawful concealed firearms. I've wavered back and forth over this, especially as my work environment and dress code have changed over the years.

Is anyone here carrying a knife as a primary weapon for defensive use on a regular basis? What and how do you carry? Do you feel some knives are more socially acceptable, while others may be a liability if used for defense?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Erik Remmen used to teach a one day Spyderco folder class for women. He argued that so trained they would be more than a match for any blackbelt. FWIW

This should be interesting. There some knowledgeable blade folks on here.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    ... remember ... Bram Frank?
    Bram was the first instructor that I had, when I was working on the Left coast in a lot of NPEs. Before that, sans any effective training, I carried a Benchmade AFCK in uniform. Bram provided my first basis of understanding on how a knife as your sole defensive tool could be possible. I have since trained with Steve Tarani on improvised and edged weapons. While I would rather not go unarmed, my current job puts me in areas where I cannot take a gun. A knife will do in the circumstance and is better than completely unarmed. For a somewhat socially acceptable knife choice I use the Spyderco Endura and Delica, both with the Emerson Wave. The Endura on my support hand side as it is set up for a direct draw and cut to the front or to aid in weapon retention when I can carry a pistol. The Delica is the strong hand option. The Spydercos are not so expensive that I mind losing them, or disposing of them, and they are quality enough for my purposes.

If I can't carry a gun, I always try to figure out a way to carry a knife. I have also trained with Bram, Ernie Emerson and others, and I have a ton of time with Steve Tarani. We just finished a Improvised and Edged Weapons class with Steve Tarani today. The entire class was asking for Steve to come back for another two days of knife work. Most were very impressed at how effective knives can be, especially with some training.
    Steve did one if his Karambit demos at the end that would have most folks preferring to face him with a pistol than a knife....and Steve is an exceptionally good shooter.
    As an LEO I started seeking edged weapons training after seeing how efficient they can be on the street.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Nyeti, thanks for your input. Do you feel that a civilian is better off carrying a low profile folder (Delica) vs. a more specialized or larger blade (Civilian, XL Voyager)?

Honestly, the only thing I think a person needs to worry about is practicality as a utility tool. I often have several knives on me, but the folder I am likely to have when if have nothing else is a folding Karambit. While I have extensive time training with them, I also found it is my number one favorite knife for opening boxes. I would simply say for a non government employee..and them too in many cases, make sure the knife has utility usability, and you can demonstrate that. Many jurisdictions do not allow knives to be carried as weapons. I would keep this in mind.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I carry a defensive blade every, single, day that I am not traveling through an airport. It is a sharp fixed blade and I supplement that blade with another blade and with pepper spray. While I love tactical folders, I don't find they work well in my environment (university). For a utility knife, I prefer a Boy Scout pocket knife, a Swiss Army Knife, or a small Leatherman. All of which work great in an office environment and don't raise a panic.

I don't worry any more about stabbing someone with any particular knife than I do with shooting them with any particular gun. I have the phone number of a good attorney and my knives (all of them that I carry) are shorter than the idiotic Chicago blade length limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on edged weapons for defensive use? I am mainly concerned with the liability/media perception aspect.

I find myself in NPE's quite regularly, at least as far as firearms go. In many of these environments, knives are fine, especially folders. I have carried a folder on me since I was a kid, but I never really felt too comfortable with the thought of using one for defense, even though I have taken a few edged weapon courses and seminars over the years (anyone remember Erik Remmen and Bram Frank?) - my main hangup has always been the public perception of knives in general, vs. lawful concealed firearms. I've wavered back and forth over this, especially as my work environment and dress code have changed over the years.

Is anyone here carrying a knife as a primary weapon for defensive use on a regular basis? What and how do you carry? Do you feel some knives are more socially acceptable, while others may be a liability if used for defense?
    Not an expert. That said, I've trained with Remmen in Olympia back in the day, and Bram as recently as last year (along with Janich and some others. I've collected the spyderco instructors by accident...). I often find myself in NPEs where a firearm is verboten; I've cultivated a collection of knives that might stand in for defensive use. Some favorites include the alfa knife "battlefield boxcutter", the famous Douglas "clinch pick" and the 90's-era Narc "Civilian" (along with the tamer, more utilitarian "matriarch"). That said, I live in a place without any length restrictions, or any language beyond the ubiquitous century+ old "spring blade and slung shot" boilerplate cut and pasted into so many state/city laws.

When I'm "operating slick" (because: internet lingo) I tend towards my spyderco sage 2; pretty much unassailable as a legit tool. Appendix carry is what I use most often for primary: if I'm running only a knife, I'm in a place where I don't really want anyone to know about it, either.

So far as media perception, I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when it comes up. I think cutting anyone is going to be frowned upon. Best if they are still breathing after the fact, which is why I tend towards MBC.

JMO, OMMV, etc.

I was on the other end of a Knife attack result for me was 2 tendon grafts on my right hand.
    I picked up a garbage can cover and turned the odds in my favor put a few of them in the emergency room 3rd one ran off .
    This was a long time ago when I had no interest in guns or had much situational awareness but I had other things going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    I was on the other end of a Knife attack result for me was 2 tendon grafts on my right hand.
    I picked up a garbage can cover and turned the odds in my favor put a few of them in the emergency room 3rd one ran off .
    This was a long time ago when I had no interest in guns or had much situational awareness but I had other things going for me.
    Based on all you've seen; have you formed knife technique opinions on the escrima/kali type "defang the snake" etc where you might parry a strike or stab then dip down and slash the attackers hamstring? I see that stuff in knife magazines and I'm not buying it at all. I've trained some escrima/kali oriented stick and knife. My hunch is it might be more appropriate for duelists in a tropical climate with long blades and very little clothing on vs getting jumped this time of year in an American city in most frozen places.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List