Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Options for Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    The kit bag reminds me of the Kifaru Koala, same principle, similar design. The kit bag is not as thick/bulky as the Koala.
    The kit bag is what the Koala should have been but isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Another option is the Kit Bag, by Hill People Gear.

The designers of the bag are avid mtn bikers, and though I've never tried it on a bike, my kit bag is very well made. It is THE BOMB, for winter camping and hunting.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/
    I can tell this forum is going to be expensive.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

its not the ideal setup but when I ride i have a g27 in a don hume IWB inside my camelback.

HPG Kit Bag

SLG, thanks for the mention.

SmokeJumper -- just to be clear, I'm the originator of the Kifaru Koala. Patrick took the design a different direction with the Koala and it ended up being a good EDC off body carry choice (if there is anything good about off body carry), but not something I'd ever want to wear as a chest rig myself. Since my original design intent was never fulfilled, Kifaru and I parted ways and Hill People Gear is now making the Kit Bag to fulfill the original intent. I get royalties on the Koala, and Patrick gets royalties on the Kit Bag for a couple of features that were added by his shop.

As to the original question -- I'm not sure that I'd consider the Kit Bag low profile if I was dressed up like a roadie, but then again I never dress like a roadie. You'll have to evaluate whether or not it is low profile enough for your uses and method of dress. I think it would be just fine if you dressed more like someone on a cross country bicycle tour than someone on the Tour de France. Mechanically, it does work well for biking in, and running is OK as well. One customer has come up with a simple modification that helps him use it for running, and we're working on producing a nicer version of that adapter for sale.

Last edited by evanhill; 02-28-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: eta: throwing in a couple of pics just because

Comfort Holster

I don't own one of these, but they look like something to try:

http://womensholster.blogspot.com/

It's an open carry belly band. It looks like it work really for running also.

Actually, I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried one.

As a side question, I think I finally decided to have something made to go between two shoulder straps of a backpack.

I intend to make it hold a light of some sort in the front, my cell phone, and wallet. Is there anything else I could add or change to get the mass I need to better hide the important contents (firearm)? I hope to add padding as well, just need to find a nylon company willing and get moving.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    The kit bag is what the Koala should have been but isn't.
    And I see it's a bit cheaper in price. I think the slimmer less bulky design would make the Kit Bag carry better. I'm sure it would work fine attached to a Kifaru pack or a Camelbak while riding on two wheels. I'm pondering it for a runners pack, but the up/down bounce may cause some discomfort.

Edit: Just saw the running video with and without pack attachment..............Looking good, as someone mentioned earlier, this new forum is gonna be expensive!

For years I've used The Wilderness' Safepacker when biking and/or hiking, mounted on one of their backing attachments (which in effect makes it a fanny pack-I've used both the plain "Packer Backer" or the one with the dual water bottle sleeves. The Safepacker is durable, low profile, and quite secure, and reasonably accessible-and fairly reasonably priced. See www.thewilderness.com. They come in a variety of graduated sizings.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by evanhill View Post
    SLG, thanks for the mention.

SmokeJumper -- just to be clear, I'm the originator of the Kifaru Koala. Patrick took the design a different direction with the Koala and it ended up being a good EDC off body carry choice (if there is anything good about off body carry), but not something I'd ever want to wear as a chest rig myself. Since my original design intent was never fulfilled, Kifaru and I parted ways and Hill People Gear is now making the Kit Bag to fulfill the original intent. I get royalties on the Koala, and Patrick gets royalties on the Kit Bag for a couple of features that were added by his shop.

As to the original question -- I'm not sure that I'd consider the Kit Bag low profile if I was dressed up like a roadie, but then again I never dress like a roadie. You'll have to evaluate whether or not it is low profile enough for your uses and method of dress. I think it would be just fine if you dressed more like someone on a cross country bicycle tour than someone on the Tour de France. Mechanically, it does work well for biking in, and running is OK as well. One customer has come up with a simple modification that helps him use it for running, and we're working on producing a nicer version of that adapter for sale.

Evan- I kept tabs over at Kifaru on the Koala and saw/read the T&E phase info and spoke with Mel a few times about your design and input, good job by all. I have a Koala, it is an EDC bag with an Organizer attached to the front, good/small bag for in/out of vehicles and office.
    But I want to purchase the Kit Bag for another role, primarily a running or biking rig. Does it have a holster included or can one add a holster with velcro, kinda like the Koala gun compartment interior?

Just didn't want any misunderstandings on the Kifaru thing... and I rarely know who has heard what. Thanks for your Koala purchase!

I'm not at all a fan of the velcro panel. It adds weight, adds heat, and impedes the draw stroke quite a bit. That being said, I've had lots of pundits (who haven't used the Kit Bag) say that it needs the velcro panel. I'm waiting for more folks to get their hands on them and form experienced opinions before reconsidering this feature. If we do end up adding the velcro panel at some point, I'll be treasuring my non-velcro version.

User Tag List