Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: JJ Racaza holster...seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    If I remember correctly, the early prototypes had a broader foot\pad at the end of the peg against which the triggerguard fits. However, such prevents the lead surface of the body from pressing against the weapon; this then removing some\all of the friction-against\retention-of the firearm, and allowing for an audible rattle as the weapon sloshes between the main plate and the peg's foot.

(It may have been an add-on mod, as I vaguely recall some mention of molding realities being mentioned.)
    Also, if you added a body-side plastic shield, the holster would have to be custom made for every gun.

fsilber,

No, not quite.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

My Cherries Multi-Fit Deep Concealment Carry Holster arrived today. First impressions:

Basic clamshell holster design. Mine is for a HK P2000, my P30 does fit, but only with modification. The tension screw had to be swapped out for a longer unit, and an additional rubber spacer was inserted from my stash of spare parts. After that it fits great and the gun slides in and out with ease.

The holster is height adjustable for three heights. The highest one ends up with the gun above the waistband (barely) for me. The lowest one has the gun entirely below the waistband, and the middle one places the gun butt roughly along the waistband (just below the top, but not completely beneath). The middle setting works best for me, allowing both the waistband of my pants and my belt to support the gun and holster.

The draw: First thing first, I had to adjust my expectations for this holster. Seeing the video, I had high expectations for speed along with concealment. The holster conceals well, even in my "slim-fit" hipster jeans (it does print a bit, but effectively looks like I have a large uhh...something...in my pants). But in terms of speed, it will take a lot of practice to get quick with the two hand draw method. A single hand draw method will always be slow by design.

Let's talk about the two hand method, inside the pocket works better than outside the pants. The reason for this is the angle with which you hit the muzzle with the support hand. From outside the pants you are pushing diagonally on the muzzle. This will push the grip above the waistband and allow access fairly quick. By contrast inside the pocket, you can push directly up on the muzzle and the gun "pops" upward from the holster very smoothly and quickly and "jumps" into the hand (allowing a full firing grip faster). I haven't yet tried the holster with dress slacks, only with jeans, and a pair of light-weight summer shorts. With the thinner material in the shorts it is easier to drive the muzzle up than in jeans (more given in the material). With practice, I can imagine you get the outside the pants draw worked out to be almost as quick as the inside the pocket.

More after I've lived with it for a couple of months.

-Rob

I can see this holster working out well for someone who works standing behind a counter and needs to be very low profile.
    They'd be more likely to have both hands free and a physical barrier between them and the guy who needs shooting.
    That would maximize the advantages (speed from deep concealment) of the holster while minimizing the negatives (sucks to draw while entangled or one handed).
    It'd work out well for a controversial lecturer for example, where they are up on a stage, possibly behind a lectern so they have a good buffer zone against physical threats, dressed well with a lot of eyes on them so concealment is a must.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-12-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

This seems perfect for my G43!

Too bad they don't make it for the G43

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It'd work out well for a controversial lecturer for example, where they are up on a stage, possibly behind a lectern so they have a good buffer zone against physical threats, dressed well with a lot of eyes on them so concealment is a must.
    Or a professor standing in front of a classroom.

Pocket carry works well in this roll too, but of course limits you to pocket sized guns.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.

User Tag List