Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 102: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info on the draw/splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Complications like more physical complexity, and any level of time pressure, sure make it tougher don't they?
    Absolutely. What's most interesting for me is that I thought I was missing makeable shots during matches or unfamiliar timed drills (read: any timed drill) because I was letting the fact that I was on the clock get inside my head. Which seemed odd because although I haven't shot many matches, I've shot enough to get over the newness of it, and I'm normally pretty cool headed. What I realized doing this drill (and the 3x5 Push) was that I've just never learned how to see what I need to see at speed. These drills forced me to do that, and my brain finally connected the dots that hey this feels kinda different and things started to click. Seems pretty obvious now but I think I could've gone a lot longer without realizing it if it wasn't for these drills, so seriously thanks. I put a few more thoughts on this in my journal.

Equipment used: Gen3 Glock 34, open front jacket, CompTac OWB strong side holster.

Knew original par time and distance would be a no go for me so I tried to concentrate on getting all six in the circle from 5 yards. Tried to draw and get on target as rapidly as possible then slow down on trigger press and front sight focus. Did not work that well.

14.21 (-1)
    10.32 (-1)
    10.55 c
    9.97 (-1)
    8.76 (-2)
    9.10 (-2)

I had been shooting with both eyes open so just for "fun" I shot one circle with my dominant eye only. I had a nice small 6 round group about a half an inch to the low left of the circle. With both eyes open groups were mostly in the circle. Not sure what is going on with that.

Equipment used: Girsan Compact 9mm (Beretta Centurion clone), stupid looking vest for concealment, Bladetech holster

1) 8.14c
    2) 8.03 (-1)
    3) 8.67 (-2)
    4) 7.31 (-2)
    5) 7.97 (-1)
    6) 8.17 (-2)

Obviously all these times were fails. It's the first time I've shot this drill and I quite like it, I'll be adding it to my regular range sessions, and put a focus on meeting the par time. This is one drill I wish I had a thinner front sight for. A lot of my first round hits were high, which is something I'll need to address moving forward.

Gear: Grand Power 9mm X-Trim. IPSC race holster & gear.

6.01 -3
    5.32 -4
    moved to 4 yd
    4.34 -2
    4.28 -3
    5.42 c
    3.96 -5 (but a beautiful tight group, just left of the dot)

Failure

I've done other variations on the dot drill but I really liked this one. Need to work on my double action first shot and visual patience. Once I moved up, I got much closer to the par times. I'll try this again from 4yd, I think I can clean it if I pace my shooting.

Finally joining in the dotw. Thanks to Mr. White, the paper rifle himself, for putting these together. I know it's a non trivial amount of work!

I know from the start that there was no way I could make the past time for this drill. So I ran it with the intention of being around 10s per string. I was also not so good at counting rounds, so I sometimes shot more than 6. Frankly I don't mind that mistake, I like that I was so focused on the sights and trigger.

Anyway, I shot it twice back to back, here's the score.

Take one:
    7rds 7.81-4
    8.19-2
    8rds 10.61-3
    7.11-0
    7.56-6
    10.66-3

Take two:
    7rds 13.92-2
    7rds 10.68-3
    9.44-3
    7.67-2
    9.74-4
    10.64-0

I didn't throw any shots low left, which I was happy with. But it made me wonder why the shots tended to high left. So I played with dots for a while after this, and found something about my grip - I normally rub my trigger finger pretty hard against the frame, but when I shift my grip so that the trigger finger is "free-floated" I seem to get better results. Need to spend more time on this.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I shoots dots almost every session, and if I could only do one thing, it probably would be to shoot dots. Often standing closer, and shooting two shots to three or more dots. Dots don't give you any slack on trigger control!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

M&P9 FS, Blade Tech IDPA holster, open front concealment, went at 5 yards.

Been struggling with accuracy at speed lately. I ran this drill twice, once with no par time and the second time with the 5 second par.

No Par:
    1. 5/6 in 9.91s
    2. 6/6 in 8.65s
    3. 4/6 in 8.36s
    4. 5/6 in 7.87s
    5. 3/6 in 7.65s
    6. 6/6 in 7.15s
    Total: 29/36, Fail

5 second par.
    Did not get all six shots under par on any runs.
    1. 2/6
    2. 2/6
    3. 4/6
    4. 4/6
    5. 3/6
    6. 3/6
    Total: 18/36 fail.

I know where I need to do a lot of work.

User Tag List