Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Dad Gear

EDC Dad Gear

OK dads, I need some guidance as I'm about to become one of you, gabba gabba hey. We've got most of the stuff we'll need for home, but not much for running around town.

So, what do you carry around on a daily basis with new kids? What makes your life easier? What was a waste of money? What turned out to be awesome and helpful but you wouldn't have thought of it at first? And (because kids are expensive) what gear have you found to be good value for the money? All advice is appreciated. I'm especially looking for input on diaper bags and the suggested contents of same.

Congratulations, there's nothing on earth better.

I used a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack in foliage. In it went a large Chux pad, a diaper per hour, a few paper towels, a couple of ziplock bags and a couple of T shirt bags, dry formula (even when he was still mostly momivorous), a change of clothes for him, a pack of wipes of the ass variety, a pack of Kleenex, a little cash, a pen, a cell phone charger, a bottle of water of any sort, daddy snacks, a hat for him, sunglasses for both of us, sunblock, lotion, lip balm, Desitin, shotgun salve, a cigarette lighter, a keychain flashlight, toys and binkies, and eventually kid snacks.

The key items to me were the chux pad and the variety of bags and baggies. Being able to deal with a full blowout and not have to throw his clothes away was a good thing. We still threw a lot of clothes away.

None of that changed my EDC at all. I never put my gun, a knife, or a magazine in the bag. The JVP went on way too many plane trips for that to be a good idea. I used the JVP that hangs on the right side, even though it covered my pistol, because I usually carried G in my left arm. It would swing out of the way if I leaned forward.

Everyone told me the JVP would be too small, but I never found that to be at all true, and G and I often went around solo. I got a lot of compliments on the bag, especially at Whole Foods (?).

A Baby Bjorn chest harness is pretty essential. I came to the firm conclusion that strollers are complete BS, and a waste of money -- but then I have one kid.

I used a Chrome messenger bag. My wife used a designer bag. They both worked well for the intended user. I like that the messenger bag could be rotated from my back to my front without dismounting it. My wife is small and attached her bag to the stroller so she didn't have to bear the weight all the time.

Plastic bags are essential. I also kept a roll of "doggie poop" bags in my bag. They're the perfect size to put a diaper in when there's no place to toss it. Don't forget clothes for yourself. You will get puked or pissed on. That's where a 2 gallon ziplock is handy. Your clothes won't fit in a smaller bag.

I'll disagree with JAD on the stroller. I coughed up the money for a Bugaboo Bee, and it's worth every penny. The wife and I have to do alot of walking in our urban AO, so the ability to take the weight off is invaluable. Also, I could lay the seat all the way back, and adapt it into a changing table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6-OsVdmpY

1 gallon zip lock bags. Are great to have. And one of those massive carabiners. Ours was called a mommy hook..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Mine are all teenagers, so, my advice on baby stuff is very outdated.

Just wanted to say CONGRATS! and wish you good luck!

Best advice: Get some rest while you can.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Eukonkanto is my suggestion.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I simply allowed my wife out of the kitchen to handle the kid. Alleviated me having to haul anything around town.

Dang. Not sure I can remember back that far. Bottle of Scotch?

Kidding of course. That is awesome news, congratulations and my very best wishes. There's nothing better than when that little bugger looks up at you and says "Dada" for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Best advice: Get some rest while you can.
    This right here.

Site Supporter
    I got twins on the way, any advice is greatly needed.

Looked at a double Bugaboo, looked really cool but at $1800, I can't do it. Looking at a BOB or a Mountain Buggy, need something that handles dirt roads and trails.

Cookie Monster

User Tag List