Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 357 as a bug?

Ruger LCR 357 as a bug?

I have been weighing heavily on selling my Ruger LCR 357. It is a good shooter and I enjoy the extra weight to help with recoil but am starting to think it may be to big for ankle or pocket carry. I am really debating moving towards an airweight but I am torn..

anyone have any thought son this?

To big? No real size difference compared to a S&W Airweight. Only a 2oz weight difference too.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    To big? No real size difference compared to a S&W Airweight. Only a 2oz weight difference too.
    guess I should do my research better next time.. any recommendations for an ankle holster?

Well it might actually be a bit bigger in the critical dimension - grip size.

Are you running the Ruger boot grips on it? You might try those. As an alternative to trading it for an Airweight.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well it might actually be a bit bigger in the critical dimension - grip size.

Are you running the Ruger boot grips on it? You might try those. As an alternative to trading it for an Airweight.

-Rob
    I haven't yet, I have been carrying it aiwb. How does it shoot with those boot grips?

For my J frames, and it works for the LCR as well, I used a modified Uncle Mike's ankle rig. I don't use the model made for the snubs, that holster sucks. I use the one for "medium autos", I'll check the size tag to be sure what size, but it's perfect for the snubs with a small mod, which requires minimal sewing.

Tauris Holsters makes a really high quality rig that I have used for heavy BUGs in the past (S&W 6906 in my case), I can recommend those highly.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    For my J frames, and it works for the LCR as well, I used a modified Uncle Mike's ankle rig. I don't use the model made for the snubs, that holster sucks. I use the one for "medium autos", I'll check the size tag to be sure what size, but it's perfect for the snubs with a small mod, which requires minimal sewing.

Tauris Holsters makes a really high quality rig that I have used for heavy BUGs in the past (S&W 6906 in my case), I can recommend those highly.
    chuck could you post some pics of both rigs if you get a chance? In crunch mode for college before spring break and have little time to do my independent research currently

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    chuck could you post some pics of both rigs if you get a chance? In crunch mode for college before spring break and have little time to do my independent research currently
    I can try. The short answer is a bar tack behind where the trigger guard sits in the holster, this adds enough tension that I can take the holster with the J frame in it, thumb break unsnapped, and hold it upside-down and the gun doesn't fall out.

I'll try to get a pic later today.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

You might want to think about commercializing that rig. I always thought that the gun-falling-out-of-holster thing was the biggest problem with many ankle holsters.

If you have't fired an Airweight J frame with carry ammunition, you might seek out a friend who has one or a range that rents them. I don't have an LCR any more, but I shot the one I had better than either of my J frames. My requirements have changed for those smaller guns, so I let the LCR go. I have considered picking up another one, curiously enough the .357 you mention but for .38s. One fear, on a different subject, is that another LCR will be a gateway drug leading to a Match Champion or a Wiley Clapp GP100.

User Tag List