Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA/USPSA gun advice needed

New IDPA/USPSA gun advice needed

I shot my first IDPA match this last weekend after a 10 year break, and I want to get back into it. I am a certified Glock fanboy, but my last two gen4 19s have not been acceptable. I currently carry a M&P9c which I shot at the match, but it's a little small even for the new CCP class.

So I currently find myself in the market for a full size 9mm that shoots where I point it and doesn't jam. Contenders are:

1. Glock 34- With my latest experience with my favorite brand, I'm a little hesitant. Glock also hasn't really kept up with the trend in designing guns that fit the human hand. I would have to spend maybe $200 on a KKM barrel for my reloads and some trigger work.

2. M&P 9 Pro- After searching and reading boo coo threads on here, it seems that a small portion of M&P 9s still have accuracy issues that cannot be resolved by a simple barrel swap. That sucks. Otherwise I like this gun. I could count on $100 in APEX parts to fix the trigger.

3. SIG P320- I was actually quite impressed with this gun at the shop last week. The sights are acceptable, the trigger seems nice if a little heavy, and the accuracy seems excellent. Where i wasn't impressed was when we disassembled the gun and removed the trigger group, then put it back together and the gun wouldn't fire. Apparently there is a tiny metal bar that can be disturbed when you reinstall the takedown lever, rendering the gun inop. Now we may have been doing it wrong, so I won't pass judgment on it, but it seemed a little fragile.

Those are really all that I'm considering. I want to end up with something striker fired, with a decent trigger, 2.5" at 25yd accuracy with good loads, and 100% reliable. What do you all think? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Good choices. I would add the XDM 5.25 to your possible list.

At our local USPSA matches, the XDM is most common, followed by the Glock. Almost never see a M&P anymore, and have yet to see a 320.

If you are set up for Glock already, the 34 is attractive, and between simplicity and available parts, is easiest to work on yourself.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    If shooting what you have now isn't an option, I'd get a Glock 17 and call it done.

I know it isn't on your list but the HK VP9 is sure looking attractive these days super reliable and very accurate. The only thing you'd have to replace would be the sights.
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I checked out the XDM 5.25 but just couldn't dig the trigger. It didn't seem to have a specific breaking point to which I could stage the trigger.

The G17 and 34 are on my short list, but so far I have had terrible luck with the Gen4 issues. One G19 gave me BTF every 3 or 4 rounds even after 2 different extractor/ejector combos, and another one gave me more stovepipes than a chimney factory. That being said my old competition gun, a Glock 35, had around 35k through it with only a $5 part breakage. I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm not the impressed as of late. Which is sad, since I'm quite fond of the brand. Maybe I should try a 3rd time to find a reliable one? Or perhaps get another 35 and just download it to minor?

The VP9 is what my wife just picked out. The neighbors house got broken into and she quickly "found religion" about why I keep a loaded gun around. It's a sweet shooter but for competition I would prefer a longer barrel. That being said I can shoot it significantly better than my M&P9c, to the tune of about 20% better scores on my IDPA drills. If they made a VP9L it would be done deal.

Anyone have any experience with the P320? Short of a VP9L it looks close to an ideal match to my criteria. Thanks for the input so far.

All your choices should work fine. For gaming I like the way the longer guns shoot but I'm not totally convinced theres a performance gain. I shot a 320 a few times and liked it, loved the Pro I shot but don't trust them accuracy wise. Out of 2, I've seen one thats good and one that isn't.

Personally I'd say glock 34 for simplicity sake. Infinite accessories and resources ect. Add sights, grip plug, and polish the trigger (with dryfire). My older gen 3 has done 2in at 22yards with good ammo and the gen 4s seem to shoot tighter generally so I kinda doubt a new barrel would be needed. And any issues that do arise seem to have working fixes already out there.

Please don't take this as a personal attack but I'm not convinced that fitting the hand in feel has much if any effect on actual shootability. For example gen 4 glocks feel excellent with no backstrap but I shoot them notably better with the medium or large one on which "feels" worse.

edit to add:
    the 320s I've shot seemed quite good. accurate, smooth, and a nice trigger. One was 9 and one .40 (I don't like .40). Subjectively I like my glock but I haven't seen any issues with the sigs.

If you looking for a game gun and are not married to the SSP division the 9mm 1911 is very popular. Other game guns are the CZ series if you are open to DA/SA.

If you go the xdm route send it to the springfield custom shop and have them do the production competition package to it.

Out of those, I'd go with the 34.

For something similar, not on your list: PPQ 5"

Though I recommend CZ to everyone these days.

Cz custom has the sp01 shadows in right now. But those aren't idpa legal from what I understand due to weight. But they are THE uspsa production gun right now. Probably makes for a good limited gun too.

User Tag List