Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aridus Industries Quick-Detach Carrier (Q-DC)

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    It gives the user consistency, durability, and reliability. Velcro gets clogged with dirt, snow, etc., causing it to not stick well, if at all. The more you rip it, the faster it wears out. When elastic starts wearing out shells start dropping under recoil. Slapping Velcro on the side does not give the same exact location and angle every time. The Q-DC is faster to change out.

They both do pretty much the same job, but the Q-DC does it in a more refined manner. There are a lot of issues associated with Velcro and elastic, especially depending on conditions, so this is a mechanical solution to those issues.
    Not a tester/shill/salesman for Adam (I just think this is a damn good design and can't wait to get one), but I can see a definitive advantage he neglected to mention in his post above. When loaded with shells these things are sized to fit into standard AR mag pouches. Presumably if you have an AR mag taco pouch, you can pull your elastic cord over to secure the Q-DC mag. Or if you pack a go-bag that holds AR mags, you can substitute Q-DC mags in their place.

This opens up, for those of us who prefer shotguns, a whole host of already capable gear. It allows considerable modularity. I have been holding back, for years, on using a shotgun as a regular go-to gun for travel, because there wasn't a good way to regularly carry 'enough' spare ammo. I have tried a lot of options. There are game/sporting clays type bags and vests where you just dump rounds loose into a bag, which doesn't keep them oriented or help you get the gun loaded. There are "speed loaders" that usually require modification to the gun to use. And there are bandoliers, elastic and nylon shotgun "cards" that hold from 6-12 rounds each those options are big, bulky, and floppy and don't really offer a lot of advantage over just a box of shells.

Of course the main source of spare ammo for a shotgun is on the gun, but the Q-DC offers a sturdy, compact, option that can utilize pre-existing gear more fully than old options, to refill that gun-mounted spare ammo. And that is brilliant, in my estimation.

-Rob

What Adam and Revolver said are spot on. The minute Adam showed me his shell gadget at Paul-E last year I was so thinking "Why in the hell did I never think of that?"
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

This weekend was largely spent working on the website (still under construction, but getting closer). On Saturday, a friend and I spent about 8 hours working on the actual site itself (Wordpress is awesome... until you want to do something that it wasn't specifically built for). Today I spent a bit of time with Tom of Dark Star Gear to take some photos of the Q-DC for the website.

It'll be a little while before the website launches, but I'm pretty excited about how well this photo turned out, so I thought I'd share. This particular photo shows magazine release and the serial number window (for those that need to inventory, such as military or law enforcement).

Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Benelli M2 and Beretta 1301 would be nice to have...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    Noted!
    Would the M2 be compatible with an M1S90?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

To be honest I really don't know. I don't know what the similarities or differences there are between each model's receivers.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Just thought I'd post a little update:

There have been a number of tweaks and changes to design since the last posting. I'm really pleased with where the current design is. A lot of rounded edges and chamfers have been added to get rid of some of the "sharp" corners. The mounting holes are bottomed (instead of through) so the screws cannot be overtightened (which is an issue with some rigid side saddles and can result in a pinched receiver which can bind the action). The back side of the Receiver Adapter has been skeletonized to further reduce weight.

All of the aluminum parts have been hard coat anodized to mil spec (at least that's what the anodizer tells me) and the steel latch has been parkerized.

About a week and a half ago I was able to finally start sending out units for beta testing. A total of 7 went out to different people across the country with different backgrounds, so I'm definitly excited to get feedback from a variety of individuals before hopefully getting into production.

In addition to the beta testing for the 870 models, I've recently started alpha testing for a Mossberg 500/590 model. There's definitely been a couple challenges getting it tweaked for the differences in receivers, but it seems pretty promising so far. I'm hoping to wrap up alpha testing in 6 weeks or so and move to beta testing sometime in July. Those beta testers will have extra work to do to try to play catchup with the Remington testers in hopes of being able to release each model simultaneously.

Cool stuff!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I prefer 4 shells on the receiver to 6, but I'm excited to try this out nonetheless. I think the big question is how much will the extra shell holders cost? That will make it or break it as a means to carry lots of ammo...

Exact MSRP for the magazines will be dependent on the resin ultimately chosen for molding (most other variables have been figured out). Without giving numbers, the goal is to keep price around what a high end pistol mag might run (granted that's a broad range, but if people are understanding of the pistol mag prices, hopefully they'll be understanding of the Q-DC mag prices.)

Spyderman2k4,

Not to pick nits, but this is P-F, after all:-)

Why do you call it a magazine? That already has a definition, and "thing that holds shotgun shells handy for manual reloading" is not it. I know some will see that as petty, or condescending, but I think it is important. Clips are not magazines, and these devices are closer to a clip than a magazine. "Detachable shell holder" seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to call it, while accurately describing its function. A Saiga 12 is a shotgun that has detachable magazines. 870's and 590's do not.

By high end pistol mag, do you mean HKP7 prices? I suspect that will be too high a cost to try and bring the shotgun back to relevance in 2015, but I could be wrong. If it takes off, then no worries. Magpul will make their own for $10:-)

User Tag List