Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40-9 conversion barrel for EDC

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For those running Glock conversion barrels, have y'all noticed changes in point of impact versus point of aim with the conversion barrel?

I recently picked up a Lonewolf 40 to 9 conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and it seems to shoot a bit high with the conversion barrel. It was good for windage but seem to be hitting 3-4 inches higher at 15 yards with the 9 mm than with the 40. The ammo was 147 grain Winchester. I'm going to try some 115 grain next time I get out to the range.

I just swapped out the barrel and the magazines for 19 mags and it ran 100%.
    Not on my samples. I run 115gr or 124gr, rare for me to have any 147gr on hand, I don't know if that's where the difference lies.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I don't see why a gun that works well and is thoroughly vetted would stop doing so any more randomly with a conversion barrel than brand new. Sure you've functionally changed the gun but how is it any different than picking up any new and untested pistol? You test it out and if it works, why not expect that it will continue to do so?

The caveat I see here is if it causes undue wear on some piece that would then fail at a sooner and less expected time. But I don't know enough to say on that.

For those running Glock conversion barrels, have y'all noticed changes in point of impact versus point of aim with the conversion barrel?

I recently picked up a Lonewolf 40 to 9 conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and it seems to shoot a bit high with the conversion barrel. It was good for windage but seem to be hitting 3-4 inches higher at 15 yards with the 9 mm than with the 40. The ammo was 147 grain Winchester. I'm going to try some 115 grain next time I get out to the range.

My KKM .357 SIG barrel shoots a bit lower (maybe an inch at twenty-five yards) with 125-grain loads, but the 9x19 barrel POI with 124-grain loads matches the factory .40 barrel with 165-grain loads.

I've run into this with several .40 to 9mm conversions. In one M&P, the 9mm barrel had both vertical and horizontal POI shifts of from 1" to 4", with a range of factory ball and JHP loads. Barrel was a factory one. It ran 100%, but no two loads would shoot to the same place. My G23 w/RMR did the same thing to a lesser extent when I tried a 9mm conversion barrel in it. Finally gave up and just picked up a complete G19 upper to swap in.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesting Devil View Post
    I don't see why a gun that works well and is thoroughly vetted would stop doing so any more randomly with a conversion barrel than brand new. Sure you've functionally changed the gun but how is it any different than picking up any new and untested pistol? You test it out and if it works, why not expect that it will continue to do so?

The caveat I see here is if it causes undue wear on some piece that would then fail at a sooner and less expected time. But I don't know enough to say on that.
    I've heard a pretty authoritative account that some folks who shoot for blood have converted some G22s to shoot 9mm. Supposedly just dropping in barrels but they may have skipped the extractor or ejector detail.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I know of a couple examples of 17 and 19s that had ejection iss ues fixed by using 40 extractors.

Perfection and drop in, dontcha know...
    I tried that with a Gen 3 17 and found that it wouldn't go back into battery most of the time. So it is a fix that isn't always going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've heard a pretty authoritative account that some folks who shoot for blood have converted some G22s to shoot 9mm. Supposedly just dropping in barrels but they may have skipped the extractor or ejector detail.
    By "shoot for blood" do you mean they use it for highly spirited range sessions or actual EDC or police work?

Can anyone tell me if using a 40-9 conversion barrel in a G23 would cause any part(s) to wear out more quickly or fail more quickly than if a normal .40 barrel were used? I simply don't know enough to know.

I've had good luck so far with a 9mm Storm Lake barrel in my 23. Shoots to POA with 124gr GDs.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List