Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40-9 conversion barrel for EDC

40-9 conversion barrel for EDC

If this is the wrong forum, please move.

I have a Gen4 G23 with a LW 40-9 conversion barrel that I use for EDC. It is the only pistol I own. It has been 100% through 200 JHP and 6-700 rounds of range ammo. I use the latest 0-4-3 RSA and 9mm mags.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I would wager that most people here would advise against carrying a firearm with a conversion barrel. Lots of other parts in the gun (breech face, ejector) are designed around the .40. if you want to carry a 9mm, I would advise selling the 23 to fund the purchase of a G19.

Thanks. That's why I'm asking. Trading it in and buying a 19 would probably cost $250. Since it's a mechanical device, it doesn't know it has a conversion barrel in it and it has worked 100%. But, many people have much higher round counts than I do so I am willing to learn and take guidance.

RR - I would DEFINITELY NOT trust my life, and the life of those I care about, to the reliability of a conversion barrel. I would sell the G23 WITH the conversion barrel, and pick up a Gen4 G19, if I were in your shoes.

I too would not carry a conversion barrel in my EDC for personal defense. Might work great but there will always be that spectre of non matching specifications. Nothing might happen ever BUT the chances of "something" happening is greater due to the different internal dimensions. In my case I would simply use the gun as originally designed in .40 caliber and use the 9mm barrel for practice and training.

I've actually been in a position to be carrying my G23 with the conversion barrel in it. I was hinky about the idea at first, but it's had zero stoppages at well over 1500 rounds through the gun, I've used it for IDPA local matches, shot quals with it, etc. I trust that gun for carry use.

My G23 as a 9mm has been more reliable than one of my G19s, which was a huge pile of fail till I got it running with aftermarket parts, and was more reliable as a 9mm than it was as a .40, just an observation.

If your gun works then your guns works IMHO. You have enough training and service ammo through the gun for one to make an informed decision, again, IMHO.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've actually been in a position to be carrying my G23 with the conversion barrel in it. I was hinky about the idea at first, but it's had zero stoppages at well over 1500 rounds through the gun, I've used it for IDPA local matches, shot quals with it, etc. I trust that gun for carry use.

My G23 as a 9mm has been more reliable than one of my G19s, which was a huge pile of fail till I got it running with aftermarket parts, and was more reliable as a 9mm than it was as a .40, just an observation.

If your gun works then your guns works IMHO. You have enough training and service ammo through the gun for one to make an informed decision, again, IMHO.
    I know of a couple examples of 17 and 19s that had ejection iss ues fixed by using 40 extractors.

Perfection and drop in, dontcha know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I know of a couple examples of 17 and 19s that had ejection iss ues fixed by using 40 extractors.

I noted that I have NEVER had brass-to-face from my G23, in either 9mm or .40. I need to test a theory ref .40 ejectors used in G19s to cure throwing BTF
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

What are your thoughts re: 9mm on a .40 breech face?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What are your thoughts re: 9mm on a .40 breech face?
    In what respect? Is 0.025" going to make or break something in terms of reliability?

I'd likely go measure breech face dimensions before shouting odds.

User Tag List