Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPF Training/ Arsenal Attorneys?

FPF Training/ Arsenal Attorneys?

Has anyone taken any classes with FPF and or had any experience with Arsenal Attorneys?

The web site looked interesting, and after talking with him I liked the topics he said he would be teaching as well as his style/attitude, and an added bonus it's not far from home.

I've taken several classes with John Murphy, including some of his two-day classes, and I will probably take one or two more this year. I definitely recommend them, although I haven't taken a lot of other classes that I could compare them to. I also don't know what your skill or experience level is or what you are looking for in a course.

Site Supporter
    I've taken 6 or so classes from John @ FPF, mostly back in the early/mid 2000s. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

I've taken two classes with John (one semi-private). His CCW course was very eye-opening for me from the standpoint of learning about criminal behavior. Would echo the above re: any specifics.

I would train with John again.

Full disclosure- I'm employed by FPF on a contractual basis for pre-deployment contractor qualifications.

I'll echo the sentiments of the other posters here and recommend FPF. John as a solid trainer who cares about his students, and his classes also stress mindset, the importance of situational awareness as well as being able to employ your defensive handgun effectively.

I think highly enough of John that my wife will be attending her first training class under his tutelage.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

I am looking for a class/classes that my wife and I can take together. My wife has been shooting with me for a long time. She enjoys it and understands the basics, but has now started to take more of an interest and take it more seriously. I am thinking about starting with the Concealed Carry: Street Encounters and progress to the Advance Tactics.

We are at the point where I don’t think I can help her much more, and I am sure there is more I can learn a well.

I believe mindset and SA are a way of life. I have talked to John and liked what he had to say and the way he went about it but Just trying to get some opinions from those that have attended, and it sounds like those have taken it liked it.

From FPF's Facebook page, posted this evening:

Report from a student:
    "Third, and most interestingly, I was able to use some of what you taught. About a week ago, my wife and I were walking our dogs at 22:00 around the neighborhood (where Alexandria and Arlington meet, so it's not exactly dangerous) and we turned a corner, to find two young male individuals hanging out on the sidewalk in 8-degree weather. There was a tire iron on the ground. I told my wife to be careful and keep the dogs close; as we got closer, one of the males picked up the tire iron, as they kept looking at us. At about 20 feet away, I unzipped my jacket and flapped it slightly open on my right hip (where my Glock 23 was holstered) -- the tire iron went back on the ground. As we walked by these two males, I made sure my jacket moved just enough, with my hand physically present, to display the Glock's grip -- they were silent and gave us space, without any threatening movements. Without your course, without carrying my firearm, or without knowing how to address the situation in a non-escalatory fashion, the outcome would have been extraordinarily different."
    I'll call this one a win.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Murphy is good people. I'd send my family to his CCW course in a heartbeat.
    3/15/2016

Murph is the best local (NoVA/DC Metro) training resource for armed civilian self-defense practitioners...that nobody really knows about, for reasons that totally escape me. Can't say I mind very much, since it makes him very accessible.

Nearby, economical, bite-sized portions, and you get much bang/little flash.

You'd not be amiss to start with Foundations, no matter what you may have done before, as it sets you up for certain "actions-on-objective" items that dovetail nicely into Street Encounters, where you'll shoot in a way that reinforces the software aspect of it all, which is what makes Murph's classes hugely relevant. It's what's missing from a lot of instruction, in favor of the mechanical/skillset stuff; that stuff's important, but it's also relatively to find classes on How To Shoot.

The How to Act (and Why), What To Look For, and What To Say (if possible, pre- and post-encounter) aspects are given only token attention in a lot of what's out there, but are the center of gravity of FPF curricula.

That said, if you've not already done so, ask if any prior training you have satisfies his prereqs for Street Encounters, and have at it.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

See you on the range!

John

User Tag List