Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mossberg 590, 590A

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    I got a GG&G, which is REALLY similar to the Vang design. I liked it a lot and it fed smooth, but one of the issues with the 870 is the extended magazine is just that, an extension, and the factory follower (and the GG&G, though to a lesser extent) would sometimes hang up on the seam and not allow the tube to be fully loaded (never had an issue with feeding, just loading). The plastic one I was able to shape and taper more so the edge doesn't get caught on the seam. For a Mossberg that doesn't have that problem, the Vang is definitely a sweet solution.
    I would see that happening.

The Vang part has a wadcutter type front edge, which in a mag tube with no seams means it scrapes crap out of the tube and dumps it out the loading port. I've seen that part work with dirt, sand and shot buffer where other followers jam up. That it also has a doughnut hole in the middle means crap can also shake out of the gun rather easily, if one holds the gun muzzle up and gives it a shake.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Interesting, good to know!
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

You noted one reason why I think 870s with extended tubes ain't a great idea IMHO.

The +1 or +2 mag additions seem to avoid that issue.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    We run 870s at work and the older ones have been great. The only new 870 I would even think about buying would be one of the police models. Yes they are 200 bucks more but in my experience you do get what you pay for.

I prefer the 18 inch 590 over the 20 inch. The gun just feels and handles better. The Magpul stock is nice but Houge and SpeedFeed both make shorter LOP stocks which also improve the handiness of the gun. As Chuck already mentioned, pistol grip type stocks and the Mossberg don't play well together.

I'm a longtime 870 guy and I agree that I'd now get the Mossberg. And ditto for the Vang follower.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just noticied you can get a 590 and 590A1 straight from the factory with Magpul stock and fore-end. Totally worth that. Just add a light and you are in business.
    Agreed. I've really been considering snagging one. A 20" Mossberg 500 was my first shotgun purchase as (at the time) a 590 was out of the budget. I'm really thinking a 18" 590 with the ghost ring sights and Magpul furniture would make it my go-to shotgun (especially with a mag tube extension to sneak in a couple extra rounds). Add a light and sling and then run the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Is the 590A1 the one with a drop safe safety ?
    Most shotgun safeties just block the trigger, worthless !
    Too bad that they shelved the model with the DA trigger. I thought it was a great idea, and my sample of one worked fine.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Too bad that they shelved the model with the DA trigger. I thought it was a great idea, and my sample of one worked fine.
    What's that? I'm not familiar.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The 590DA I had was indeed interesting.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List