Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590, 590A

My sample from work of over 150 guns, somewhere in the area of 180 guns (I forget exactly what the inventory numbers were) mostly 500s, some 590s, several 590 14" guns, is that they have proven to be tough, reliable, handle abuse and neglect well, and are easy to detail clean and fix as needed.

Our run big of 500s (bought all on one 125 gun batch purchase) did appear to have magazine springs made from recycled paperclips, and we had to replace them after a few years. I dropped Wolff Gunsprings magazine springs into those guns, and Vang stainless steel followers. Zero issues with feeding after that point.

That Vang follower I can HIGHLY recommend for anyone using a tube fed shotgun.

My experience with older 870s was always positive, however I didn't note them to be better than the Mossbergs. Newer 870s have had QC issues that I have heard of.

The placement of the safety on the Mossbergs is superior IMHO, and one reason why I prefer them.

If you want to add a pistol grip stock then don't pick the Mossberg, that safety no workee when using that type of stock.

My personal 590 is a 20" gun with ghost right sights, it has been very well used in multiple shotgun courses, and has been a loaner to guys at work that needed a gauge to take to a class when the job wouldn't give them a loaner. I've easily got over 10,000 rounds through that gun with no issues outside of out of spec ammo, etc., with only a mag spring and follower being upgraded in that time frame.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Would folks generally recommend just getting a Wolffe mag spring and Vang follower ASAP and installing those from the word go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Would folks generally recommend just getting a Wolffe mag spring and Vang follower ASAP and installing those from the word go?
    Yes. In the grand scheme of things, it's a cheap upgrade to ensure reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Is the 590A1 the one with a drop safe safety ?
    Most shotgun safeties just block the trigger, worthless !
    If it has one then mine doesn't function. I have "bump-fired" it several times testing this out with snap caps loaded up. It didn't take that much force on the butt to fire, therefore I keep mine cruiser ready even though it's my main HD gun, sits in our bedroom, and we have no kids left in the house.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I wish there were more factory options with the Marinecote finish but I guess I could just do the work myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Yes. In the grand scheme of things, it's a cheap upgrade to ensure reliability.
    ^This^
    www.agiletactical.com

At this point, Mossberg is a safer bet out of the box. My main shotgun is an 870 but it has a lot of upgraded parts.

The safety location and dual extractors alone make it worth the decision. Either the 590 or 590a1 will be excellent. Definitely upgrade the follower. I've tried a couple aftermarket ones and my preference is the S&J Hardware green delrin follower. Really smooth feeding, really bright, and really easy to feel.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

A lot of people like the high visibility plastic followers, I did too, until I got to play with that Vang part, it's fucking genius in design. Seriously, it's that much better.
    www.agiletactical.com

Thanks for all the info guys! Hopefully in the next month or so I'll get to a store and get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A lot of people like the high visibility plastic followers, I did too, until I got to play with that Vang part, it's fucking genius in design. Seriously, it's that much better.
    I got a GG&G, which is REALLY similar to the Vang design. I liked it a lot and it fed smooth, but one of the issues with the 870 is the extended magazine is just that, an extension, and the factory follower (and the GG&G, though to a lesser extent) would sometimes hang up on the seam and not allow the tube to be fully loaded (never had an issue with feeding, just loading). The plastic one I was able to shape and taper more so the edge doesn't get caught on the seam. For a Mossberg that doesn't have that problem, the Vang is definitely a sweet solution.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

User Tag List