Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price/Quality Check COLT Combat Government Model

I'll echo what farscott says. It doesn't look like any CG I have ever seen. But.....I plugged in the serial number that I think is on the frame (FG31770) and the colt website says that it's a 1984 Model 08111, which is a combat Government.

From what I have gathered from research is that the "FG" prefixed serial numbers were the first Combat Government models produced in 1983 that did not have the firing pin safety. The regular series 80 also came out that year with the firing pin safeties. Also a standard on these first models were serrated front straps but standard Pachmayr grips with the Colt logo on them. The gun in question does have the Colt logo on the grips and also has COLT'S PT. F. A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CONN. USA on the frame.

Colts website states that the date is an approximation. The model 08111 would be correct as they started with SN: FG01000

So does any of this add to or detract from the asking price of $800? Again, I am a 1911 noob.

Personally, I'd still buy it and it won't take much for a smith to make it just right

I can say that "FG" prefix frames are not all Combat Governments as I used such a pistol as a base gun. It was a normal Government Model. Every Series '80 Combat Government that I have seen had a "CG" prefix. I also own Colt pistols with "FR" prefixes, both of which are "enhanced" models. Colt pretty much stepped through the "Fx" prefixes as needed.

The question of value comes down to being a shooter or a collector. Today, the 1991A1 gun can be purchased NIB for about $715. A new 1991A1 is functionally equivalent to a Combat Government with one exception: the 1991A1 front strap is not serrated. So the question comes down to that difference for a shooter. There are some other minor differences such as wood grips on the 1991A1 and the Pachmayr grips on the Combat Government. The new Colts are much more consistent than the guns made in the 1980s and come with the benefit of a factory warranty.

For a collector, the Combat Government is a plus as it was a short-lived variant that was meant to address some of the customization that was starting to drive 1911 usage. I personally like the "Mark IV Series '80" rollmarks. For $800, I would buy the pistol as the feature set works for me. I would replace the grips so that I could use the serrated front strap. But I cannot recommend "a 1911 noob" buy this gun when the 1991A1 will save almost $100 and be a brand new gun.

Here is a link to another Combat Government with the "FG" serial number prefix, complete with pictures: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...bat+government So the "FG prefix is confirmed and the pistol appears to be legit.
    Last edited by farscott; 03-03-2015 at 05:41 AM.

One of the best pistols that I've had.

I think I bought mine in 1989. For 900 bucks. It was Colts first run / Gen1.

Not much to say about it other than it was accurate and reliable just like my HK P30S 9mm or 98 Sig P229 40S&W

It fed all the popular JHP plus loved lead SWC.

User Tag List