Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Speed Control

Being a good shooter, being a USPSA GM, and being good at gunfighting fighting inside a house are not synonymous, nor are they mutually exclusive.

Some significant factors:
    The way one moves through a course of fire is not the way one moves through an unknown structure.
    The difference in being "good" at fighting inside an enclosure (which includes "not shooting your buddies or non-threats") is the ability to go from "search" to "shoot", correctly, and rapidly.
    Once the decision has been made to shoot, the better shooter will get better hits on target and/or get faster hits on target.
    Being a better shooter also gives shot placement options that a poor shooter will not be able to reasonably expect to achieve.
    Tactical tasks do not belong on the clock, and bad things happen when they are. This is a really broad statement, and more absolute than I generally care to be. I'm not talking about making the switch from ID to shoot, or drawing the pistol, but rather things like door assessments, entries, post-engagement processes, etc.

One can teach a good shooter how to work an enclosure, and one can improve the marksmanship of a CQB dude, but just because the good shooter hasn't been trained how to do the job, or that the SWAT dude can't hold the 8-ring at 25 meters doesn't mean that it's better to be a weak shooter, or that good shooters can't perform tactically.

Tactics, marksmanship, and decision making are all essential. The weakest is what causes the structure to collapse under stress.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 03-12-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Outstanding post.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

This has been an awesome read.

I moved this thread to its rightful place in the Reference Section.

User Tag List