Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Speed Control

I've attempted to explain this concept of "Seeing what you need to see" in Steel Challenge to others, it can be difficult. And yet, it order to get fast you have to understand it, as you have to change your acceptable sight picture sometimes on every target. In fact the only exception to this rule is Outer Limits where all the targets are hard enough to require a good sight picture on all five.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I turned 50 today....it is my new age standard...
    How in the hell am I older than you?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    BTW, I've also done this with what I might politely term "less than the best tac guys on the planet." If a SWAT team was coming to save my family, I'd want to know which team before agreeing to it. SWAT is not SWAT all the time, everywhere.
    That is a sad fact of life, and often due to "incest and in-breeding", teams that fail to get outside training, or have no idea "what good really looks like".
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I've attempted to explain this concept of "Seeing what you need to see" in Steel Challenge to others, it can be difficult. And yet, it order to get fast you have to understand it, as you have to change your acceptable sight picture sometimes on every target. In fact the only exception to this rule is Outer Limits where all the targets are hard enough to require a good sight picture on all five.
    This is true in working against humans as well, except with much higher levels of scrutiny and accountability. They score mistakes harder too.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    This is probably the most fascinating seven post thread I have ever read. Lightbulbs went off everywhere. There is a lot here for me to think about. Thanks for sharing this all.
    100% agree, this thread is a fuckin goldmine! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Very independent. I have seen problems on both ends. We all know "those guys" who are good shooters and make some of the stupidist decisions out there. Equally, I have seen some very poor shooters who are very good at getting themselves out of trouble without them. I am a huge advocate of maintaining balance. Mindset is a critical part of that balance. Mindset is one of those things that I have been able to guide people on, but you never really know what is going on in people's heads.

Part of what spawned this thread was my love of the word "control". Whether it is speed, vision, emotions, impulses, etc. those with the best control win over those with less. This is also where experience comes in. I can pretty much guarantee that GJM would exhibit far better control in most areas than me when it came to a large bear encounter (except discipline...because I don't walk around grizzly areas carrying chopped up bear snacks on my back....I order room service). I would likely fair better in the control area if we were strolling around some ghetto.

My point earlier in the thread about "screamers" never being in particularly great shooting incidents. They were often good for causing them.

SLG..I still have my G17 with the T1, but I carry a vP9 most of the time these days. The G17 is often out for demos with places looking for a specialized tools. One area it has stood out is for those working WMD capability and working in the moon suits.
    Do you buy in to the argument long made that advanced technical skills breed confidence which is a factor in exercising patience and emotional control which might well drive better decision making. Ergo some relationship between skill and decision making. No huh?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do you buy in to the argument long made that advanced technical skills breed confidence which is a factor in exercising patience and emotional control which might well drive better decision making. Ergo some relationship between skill and decision making. No huh?
    Across the board I buy into better training and confidence builds better decisions. Shooting, driving, defensive tactics, legal stuff, it doesn't matter. The key is always quality and applicability.

I also see a correlation with less need to short-cut. Better quality trained folks find less need to point guns at everything, and tend to be less prone from cheating trigger fingers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

In addition to ^that^, I think the bad guys know when they are dealing with such people, and are far less apt to challenge them.

EDPs being the exception to that rule since their reality ain't reality.
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In addition to ^that^, I think the bad guys know when they are dealing with such people, and are far less apt to challenge them.

EDPs being the exception to that rule since their reality ain't reality.
    THAT is 100% truth in all respects.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    THAT is 100% truth in all respects.
    Same with bears. Not!

To pick up on what Kevin said about intermediate shooters being the most dangerous, the same certainly does apply to pilots and bears. New pilots and baby bears are afraid of their own shadow, and that caution is protective. It is the intermediates, bears and pilots, that often get in to trouble as they have developed confidence but sometimes an incomplete skill set. With bears in particular, the first year they are cut loose from mom, they often get into shenanigans. The brown bear that charged me on Kodiak, was just such a bear.

I really think this thread should be called "method" control not "speed" control. Robbie possesses speed control, but that is primarily a teaching tool that allows him to drag you along to the speed he wants you to shoot. (It is pretty amazing to see how his shooting pace drives your pace, when he shoots side by side with you, and there are probably some tactical implications.) I get using time to bench mark your performance, or to develop a competency test, but it should not be a primary factor in how you shoot. Robbie would say method control, as in stop/aim/jerk, and let the time be what it is. That method control is continuously self correcting for your ability and the target size and distance.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List