Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Extending life of Beretta 96?

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    You have no data-points that the modifications are actually a fix, and no data-points that it doesn't introduce any other problems, yet you're declaring it better than a 96.
    With the same information I do, you're declaring its not.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

OP- If you just want to use it for a range toy, I'd recommend buying 9mm barrel for it and shooting to your hearts content. If that isn't a route you want to take, and you handload, you could load some rather sedate forty in the 135 Power Factor range and again, I think it'd be fine. Definitely easier on the gun than full power 40 in the 170 Power Factor range.

The various problems with full house forty in the 96 has been pretty well documented, both in this thread and others, and I personally wouldn't trust any Beretta 96 to take a great volume of training without suffering some problems unless the ammo was downloaded. (IIRC, a lot of folks have said that after about 10K rounds of full forty, the 96's tend to be clapped out)

That said, you got a pretty good deal on a gun that a lot of Beretta nuts flip for, so you could possibly flip it.

I picked up a 96A1 during an ammo panic so that I could practice with factory ammo when you could find forty but no 9mm anywhere. Not long after I acquired it, 9mm reloading components started to become available again, so I haven't shot the 96A1 that much. Even with the engineering changes made to the 96A1, part of my PM plan for the gun was a new RSA every thousand rounds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    With the same information I do, you're declaring its not.
    Nice deflection, but no I haven't. I'm saying we don't know where it stands. It might be better and it might be worse. We have 0 data points to go on, except Beretta's marketing words.

Site Supporter
    I seem to recall another thread noting that the SIG 229 DAKs in use by the Texas DPS have a 10k round life expectancy...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    OP- If you just want to use it for a range toy, I'd recommend buying 9mm barrel for it and shooting to your hearts content. If that isn't a route you want to take, and you handload, you could load some rather sedate forty in the 135 Power Factor range and again, I think it'd be fine. Definitely easier on the gun than full power 40 in the 170 Power Factor range.

The various problems with full house forty in the 96 has been pretty well documented, both in this thread and others, and I personally wouldn't trust any Beretta 96 to take a great volume of training without suffering some problems unless the ammo was downloaded. (IIRC, a lot of folks have said that after about 10K rounds of full forty, the 96's tend to be clapped out)

That said, you got a pretty good deal on a gun that a lot of Beretta nuts flip for, so you could possibly flip it.

I picked up a 96A1 during an ammo panic so that I could practice with factory ammo when you could find forty but no 9mm anywhere. Not long after I acquired it, 9mm reloading components started to become available again, so I haven't shot the 96A1 that much. Even with the engineering changes made to the 96A1, part of my PM plan for the gun was a new RSA every thousand rounds.
    If the M9A3 turns out to be decent and is a good price I might just dump this one to fund one of those.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The existence of the reinforced frame and buffer at minimum makes the 96A1 a much lower purchase risk then a "traditional" 96 from a feature perspective. Knowing any further means someone with deep pockets needs to buy 30 pistols and a semi trailer load of ammo .
    Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
    One great way to get that evidence would be for you to do your next test on one of these, and to make it true to life, you could only use the fire-breathing 155 grain screamers that broke the Border Patrol guns at 10,000 rounds.

After all, if you can become a 1911 fan certainly the next thing you should want to do is fire tens of thousands of ultra hot rounds out of a high bore-axis .40!

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    After all, if you can become a 1911 fan certainly the next thing you should want to do is fire tens of thousands of ultra hot rounds out of a high bore-axis .40!
    I vote you off the island.

So you're saying that I should work on the pitch a bit? Maybe accompany it with a Power Point presentation that somewhere close to the hundredth slide concludes by saying "The forgoing shows beyond doubt that real men rock 96A1's and enjoy feeling the pain as the joints in their hands slowly turn to mush!" It could have suitable "tactical" graphics as well!

We are diminished
    Will the projector be multicam?

OMG if a projector screen is multicam can you see what's projected onto it? Mind. Blown.

User Tag List