Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Extending life of Beretta 96?

I had heard about getting a 9mm barrel and I'm thinking I might go that route. All the .40 I have is a box I bought the day I got the gun and while I ordered some 96 mags, I have a pile of 92 mags and plenty of 9mm ammo, so a barrel swap would be simple enough to go with.

There's a used 96D at my LGS. If it was a 92D it probably would have already gone home with me. I'm issued a .40 but have no interest in owning one, especially a Beretta as I feel the design really isn't up to the task in the chambering.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

We are diminished
    I have not read this thread so I apologize if someone else already gave the correct answer: the only way to extend the life of a 96 is to stop shooting it immediately. Luckily, in many cases they'll do that for you.

The Border Patrol was also issuing 165gr ammo at the time which didn’t help with longevity of the Berettas.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I have not read this thread so I apologize if someone else already gave the correct answer: the only way to extend the life of a 96 is to stop shooting it immediately. Luckily, in many cases they'll do that for you.
    The 96A1 seems to have cured the ills of the original variant.Its also got a more substantial frame and a built in buffer.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Please point us to some data points on the 96A1 which shows high round count guns aren't having issues. I haven't seen any.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Please point us to some data points on the 96A1 which shows high round count guns aren't having issues. I haven't seen any.
    The 96A1 is functionally a 90-Two .40 under the skin, and i've not run into negative reports about either weapon as yet. Then again, there are no wide scale users of either as yet.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Then again, there are no wide scale users of either as yet.
    That's my point. You can't declared that this model cured the issues of the prior version, with no data points.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    That's my point. You can't declared that this model cured the issues of the prior version, with no data points.
    The existence of the reinforced frame and buffer at minimum makes the 96A1 a much lower purchase risk then a "traditional" 96 from a feature perspective. Knowing any further means someone with deep pockets needs to buy 30 pistols and a semi trailer load of ammo .
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    You have no data-points that the modifications are actually a fix, and no data-points that it doesn't introduce any other problems, yet you're declaring it better than a 96.

User Tag List