Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extending life of Beretta 96?

Extending life of Beretta 96?

I never thought I'd buy a handgun in .40 S&W, much less a Beretta 96, but I recently found an Elite II in decent shape for about $450 and bit the bullet. While I don't plan on shooting it often, I'd certainly like to keep it around as long as possible. Beyond regularly changing the recoil spring, I'm not sure what else I can do to save the frame. I see Wilson Combat offers a Shok-Buff and a heavier recoil spring, but do those really help all that much in situations like this? Is there anything else I can/should be doing if I want this gun to last?

Just change out the factory recoil spring with an OEM one every 4000-5000 rounds and drive on. I seriously doubt you will ever wear it out. If it breaks, send it off to Beretta. You'd have to do a LOT of shooting to worry about it, I imagine.
    Last edited by Clay; 03-01-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    You'd have to do a LOT of shooting to worry about it, I imagine.
    It's a used gun, and you don't even know the round count of the gun, nor how well it was maintained.

If I were planning to run a 96, I would run a Shok-Buff and make sure to keep a fresh recoil spring in there. The service life of a 96 is a LOT shorter than that of a 92.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    It's a used gun, and you don't even know the round count of the gun, nor how well it was maintained.

If I were planning to run a 96, I would run a Shok-Buff and make sure to keep a fresh recoil spring in there. The service life of a 96 is a LOT shorter than that of a 92.
    Very true. But it's a little late for the OP to change his mind about buying it. At this point I'd lube it, shoot it and not worry about it. I'm personally not a fan of Shok-Buff's. The OP said he doesn't plan on shooting it much so the service life difference probably ain't gonna mean much. 92's seem to go a LONG time, if a 96 goes half as long, well...you pays your money and takes your chances.

Site Supporter
    if a 96 goes half as long
    I think that's being too generous.

I think that's being too generous.
    Yikes. I only know one person who has one, a police trade-in, and he hasn't had any trouble and he shoots quite a bit. Sample of one and all. What's your guess on service life of a 96?

Agreed and that's why I wasn't totally crazy about the price I paid. The frame itself doesn't have as much anodizing worn off the frame rails (if pics help I have them) as say my trade-in 92D, but that's not saying much. Plus With the gunk on the breech face and carbon build up on the muzzle makes me think it did see some use. I knew this thing was a risk and I figure now the best thing to do is just do what can be done to minimize what future wear is put on it. I'll definitely get a shok-buff and either a standard recoil spring or maybe a #14 one.

Shoot minor loads.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yikes. I only know one person who has one, a police trade-in, and he hasn't had any trouble and he shoots quite a bit. Sample of one and all. What's your guess on service life of a 96?
    In this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....58-Beretta-96D, Todd says about 10,000 rounds in a 96D. I wish I knew if this applied to the slant dust cover frame guns or the straight dust cover, but I'm just going to assume 10,000 for now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 65k10 View Post
    In this thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....58-Beretta-96D, Todd says about 10,000 rounds in a 96D.
    Thanks for saving me the time to search for that thread.

What's your guess on service life of a 96?
    All of the data points I have are somewhat removed from me, I'll let other speak about it who have closer ties.

This was a good thread to glean some data points:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?15129-40s

User Tag List