Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current SIG P-Series Lineup.....

Current SIG P-Series Lineup.....

Super confused about the current SIG P226/229 lineup and compatibility with older models.

Context: My girlfriend is getting serious into shooting. She's narrowed down her choices to a 9mm hammer fired, rail equipped, metal framed semi-auto w/decocker only. Her strongest caveat: Gun MUST be NIB. At the indoor range we have a membership at, they have a P226 Mk25 for rent. After 330 rounds of coaching on the Mk25 (some ball'n'dummy drills and teaching the rolling trigger break), she is consistently holding a 2" group at 5 yards with both DA and SA, and 6" at 20 yards. #TDAisImpossibleToShootWellWithoutMassiveDedicatio n

She has not yet fired a SIG P226/9 with the E2 grips. Even though she is shooting the classic SIG ergos very well, we've identified a range 1 hour away which has a P229 w/E2 grips to rent, and she wants to make the trip to fire it.

1) Is the P226 MK25 the only current 226 model that has old style grips? The others all look like they have the E2 grip. Can you retrofit an old SIG grip to the current "P226 Nitron", which appears to have the E2 grips?

2) Are there any mag compatibility issues between the different P226 models/generations?

3) What about the P229? Is the "Combat" the only current P229 with old style SIG grips? If she purchases a base P229 which appears to have the E2 grip...and she decides she ends up liking the old grips better......can she retrofit the old grips?

Remember, she is only interested in purchasing NIB. The only exception would be if she found just what she was looking for from a trusted seller, like some of the guys here. SIGs are plentiful in the WTS section, but it appears there aren't any of the models that she wants.

We are both having a blast...her, because it's like she's finally discovering "America" and she's fully shoving it in her rabidly anti-gun mom's face. Me, because she's genuinely interested in shooting bad people in the face with competency and it's incredibly fun teaching her to shoot well. Because TDA is impossible to shoot well.

Thanks for your help in understanding the current SIG lineup!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

You can indeed switch back to the classic style grip. Call Top Gun Shooting Supply and they can get you squared away. However, switching from the classic to E2 in an older gun is going to take a frw new parts.

In terms of a classic style P229, take a look at the M11A1. It is a 9mm P229 with a milled stainless slide as opposed to the folded carbon steel slide that is used in the P228/M9.

Also, there are no mag compatability issues between classic and E2 P226's.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    There are no mag compatibility issues between any of the P226s. In general, there are also not any compatibility issues between frames locking blocks etc. in case you're thinking of caliber conversion kits.

With the P229 there are some compatibility issues between different generations of locking block and between the US and German made frames. The older P229 9mms had a unique frame and use the 13 round P228 magazines. The newer P – 229-1 9mm "s have the same frame as the 40/357 P– 229s and normally come with the 15 round P229–1 magazine. I have a Barstow 9 mm conversion barrel in a 40 Cal P229R. The correct magazine for this would be the 15 round P2 29–1 Magazine however it functions just fine with 13 round magazines, 15 round – one magazines and even with 14 rounds of 9 mm in a 40 Cal magazine.

With the newer P-226's / Mk25's and P – 229's you can swap back-and-forth between the standard grips and the E2 grips. The new Nitron frames are still drilled and tapped for grip screws underneath the E2. Some of the older models require an updated mainspring seat to accommodate the E2 grips.

I tried a set of E2 grips on my 226 Texas edition. It was 2012 or 2013 production, new old stock but the E2 grip popped right on without issue. They were a little small for my hand so I went back to the original rosewood grips. If you are going to swap grips, I would suggest you look at the houge G 10 grips. They are a little bit smaller/slimmer than the stock plastic grips and they have a really good feel to them. I have a set of the extremes on my P229, but the checkered versions are very nice also

Based on your requirements I would recommend getting the MK 25, over the P226 nitron for the short extractor. You can always put an E2 grip or other grips on the MK 25.

If you go with one of the newer P229 models and swap out the E2's for standard grips I would recommend keeping some extra grip screws handy and/or applying a little Loctite. The 229 grip screws are a little shorter than the P226 grip screws and they seem to come loose regularly. The P229 grip screw issue is one of the main reasons SIG came up with the one-piece E2 grip system.

Site Supporter
    #TDAisImpossibleToShootWellWithoutMassiveDedicatio n

You may consider said hashtag stolen...

Don't overlook the 2022. It's a lot of pistol for the money. I regret parting with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Don't overlook the 2022. It's a lot of pistol for the money. I regret parting with mine.
    I mentioned it to her (tried to sell her on it, honestly). Based on her improvement thus far it's possible she'd go for a polymer pistol later on down the line, but so far she appreciates the lower recoil impulse of the heavier framed guns.

P226 MK25 with E2 grips are great! Of all the Classics, I'd recommend the MK25 and buy the E2 grips, the MK25 will readily accept the E2 grips without modification. Before she buys, have her at least try the P320 Carry.

First off, thanks for all the comments so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    P226 MK25 with E2 grips are great! Of all the Classics, I'd recommend the MK25 and buy the E2 grips, the MK25 will readily accept the E2 grips without modification. Before she buys, have her at least try the P320 Carry.
    I proposed the P320 and she checked one out but she grew to like the idea of thumbing a hammer, so she doesn't want a SFA pistol. She also prefers the weight of the heavier framed guns for their lower recoil.

Why do you suggest the Mk25 over the base P226? Everything I've read about the extractor issue stated that it had been worked out. Any other reason?
    Last edited by TGS; 03-01-2015 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I proposed the P230 and she checked one out but she grew to like the idea of thumbing a hammer, so she doesn't want a SFA pistol. She also prefers the weight of the heavier framed guns for their lower recoil.

Why do you suggest the Mk25 over the base P226? Everything I've read about the extractor issue stated that it had been worked out. Any other reason?
    True pic rail and chrome lined barrel. The phosphate internals are nice, but I could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I proposed the P320 and she checked one out but she grew to like the idea of thumbing a hammer, so she doesn't want a SFA pistol. She also prefers the weight of the heavier framed guns for their lower recoil.

The civilian MK25 is more marketing than substance. Don't get me wrong, I own one and think that it's great. However, West German P226's can still be found on GB and are the standard for which other pistols in the P226 family are judged. The same can be said about West German P228's being the gold standard 9mm compact platform. The MK25 and M11A1 are fine pistols, but offer little substance to the conversation. I only mentioned the M11A1 because you asked about the P229, and the M11A1 is the only non-railed P229 that you are going to find without getting a SAS model.

Honestly, any husband who really loves his wife would just buy her both a West German P226 and a P228 to show her the depths of his affection...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List