Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9mm BHP Magazines

I had seven or eight of those I used while carrying the HP and never had a problem with them. I did subject them to some rather vigorous training exercises that involved shooting from odd positions and never experienced a malfunction. However, I do seem to be in the minority with those results. Probably best to stick with the thirteeners.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

We are diminished
    Thanks very much, gents. Wife needs a larger supply of mags now that she's practicing more. I'll stick with the 13's.

Man, this forum is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    Whether you fully load them or not matters none.
    If you're carrying with 13s and practicing with 15s, downloading to 13 matters for training like you'd use it...

Site Supporter
    "That gun takes a 14 shot clip. You expecting an army?"

"No, just a division."

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    If you're carrying with 13s and practicing with 15s, downloading to 13 matters for training like you'd use it...
    I was talking about reliability.

Only time I've seen the 15 rounders nose dive or coil bind is when they were dirty. I field stripped them, cleaned them with CLP and then used a dry lube like graphite and it's been working for me (3 matches a week and practice).

While MecGar has been an OEM for FN Hi Powers, there are at least three differences between the ones provided to FN/Browning and the ones commercially available: First, the followers are different. I believe that the commercial ones had "two leg" followers, which are less stable than the FN/Browning "4 leg" followers.

Second, the MecGar commercial magazines (at least those for the .40 Hi Powers) lack the "mousetrap" kicker spring that significantly expedites magazine ejection from the receiver;

Third, I believe the only finish MecGar has used on their commercial Hi Power magazines is a glossy blue-black-nicely applied, and durable, but inferior to the teflon-based/NP3 (or NP3-like) finish used on the OEM .40 magazines. I only have one of the commercial magazines, and I only use it as a last-resort range magazine; I vaguely recall that there was an operational issue of some sort with it the last time I used it, but it was several years ago and I forget the exact nature of it.

I'd personally recommend only FN/Browning magazines. The last time I checked, they were considerably less expensive if you order from FN USA than from Browning-check both sites before ordering is my recommendation.

And a key caveat: All of my experience is with the .40 Hi Powers/magazines.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    "That gun takes a 14 shot clip. You expecting an army?"

"No, just a division."
    From "Serpico."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    From "Serpico."
    I knew I wasn't the only one on here old enough to remember cervical buying his high-power. It is interesting though how 13 or 14 rounds has gone from crazy high-capacity to medium /low capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I knew I wasn't the only one on here old enough to remember cervical buying his high-power. It is interesting though how 13 or 14 rounds has gone from crazy high-capacity to medium /low capacity.
    Autocorrect strikes again!
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List