Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W Choices

The 165gr full power Gold Dot was hot enough to start causing reliability issues with our gen 3 G22s, just throwing that out there.

I know a guy with big hands that had to ditch his G23 because he had shot it enough he was having nerve damage creep up in his shooting hand. Doc and I know of a tier one guy who will tell people he thinks the G22 is GTG, but that the .40 in anything smaller is a case of "the juice ain't worth the squeeze".

In the small .40s, if I had to run one, I'd go with 180gr or one of the mid range loadings, examples would be the other 165gr Gold Dot, or the Federal Tactical, etc.

My G23 has been 100% reliable with the 9mm conversion barrel in it, also, just throwing that out there.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The 165gr full power Gold Dot was hot enough to start causing reliability issues with our gen 3 G22s, just throwing that out there.

I know a guy with big hands that had to ditch his G23 because he had shot it enough he was having nerve damage creep up in his shooting hand. Doc and I know of a tier one guy who will tell people he thinks the G22 is GTG, but that the .40 in anything smaller is a case of "the juice ain't worth the squeeze".

In the small .40s, if I had to run one, I'd go with 180gr or one of the mid range loadings, examples would be the other 165gr Gold Dot, or the Federal Tactical, etc.

My G23 has been 100% reliable with the 9mm conversion barrel in it, also, just throwing that out there.

Well, it looks like my hypothesis that folks with big hands are the people who like G 23's is shot down in flames. Does anyone here like/love the 23, and if so could you tell us why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Well, it looks like my hypothesis that folks with big hands are the people who like G 23's is shot down in flames. Does anyone here like/love the 23, and if so could you tell us why?
    Well, since no one seems to be answering ... :-)

I like mine fine and my G27 too.

Considering what we all know about the quality of 9mm ammo, the G23 is harder and slower to shoot for not much return in terms of wound ballistics. However, how much slower and harder will depend on the individual. I know I'm slower than with a G19 but, during an NTI I attended, I had no problems hitting movers that didn't stick around long and at a Rangemaster Combative Pistol II class I did a 96 or 97 (it was several years ago :-(, so my memory may be off but basically I came third in the class) on the FBI bottle target and well within the allotted time; I'm not sure that my being somewhat slower is such an impediment. On the other hand, I bought a G23 (my first, I had two) when they first came out so I have quite a bit of experience with the platform.

Nowadays, the G23 gets carried when I take too long cleaning the G19s or I used it as my practice gun because I have to work a bit harder with it.

I don't love the gun but I do like it.

P.S. I wear size large gloves, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Well, since no one seems to be answering ... :-)

I like mine fine and my G27 too.

Considering what we all know about the quality of 9mm ammo, the G23 is harder and slower to shoot for not much return in terms of wound ballistics. However, how much slower and harder will depend on the individual. I know I'm slower than with a G19 but, during an NTI I attended, I had no problems hitting movers that didn't stick around long and at a Rangemaster Combative Pistol II class I did a 96 or 97 (it was several years ago :-(, so my memory may be off but basically I came third in the class) on the FBI bottle target and well within the allotted time; I'm not sure that my being somewhat slower is such an impediment. On the other hand, I bought a G23 (my first, I had two) when they first came out so I have quite a bit of experience with the platform.

Nowadays, the G23 gets carried when I take too long cleaning the G19s or I used it as my practice gun because I have to work a bit harder with it.

I don't love the gun but I do like it.

P.S. I wear size large gloves, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    One could start wondering why to care about the "speed" difference when so many considered opinions of solid experienced types say one really can't assess the scenario and shoot much faster than .25-.30 anyway. Eh? Not saying I am; I'm not a big animal and easier is gooder for me but just sayin'
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks, Chuck- I've been eyeing a conversion barrel for years, but never did buy one because of reliability concerns. I've been looking at both Storm Lake and KKM; did you swap out the ejector or extractor? Seems to be varied opinions on yes or no about that around the web...

Jeep- when shooting a regular G20, although it's decidedly bigger than a 23/19, it's by no means "too big" for my hands, but I think it's about the upper limit of what I find comfortable. Dunno if that helps as far as perspective...

I EDC'ed and shot a gen2 G23 for many years, and wore one out. It was reliable with a broad spectrum of ammo, but most so and easiest to shoot with 180gr at ~950-1000fps. I have big hands and ran it pretty well. When retired, I switched to a G19 and haven't looked back. For me, everything about the G19 is better than the G23.

Also, my experience: The high velocity 165s in .40 are most represented in stoppages, least friendly to shooters, and hardest on guns. I would not voluntarily choose them for any purpose.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    One could start wondering why to care about the "speed" difference when so many considered opinions of solid experienced types say one really can't assess the scenario and shoot much faster than .25-.30 anyway. Eh? Not saying I am; I'm not a big animal and easier is gooder for me but just sayin'
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Onerifle View Post
    Thanks, Chuck- I've been eyeing a conversion barrel for years, but never did buy one because of reliability concerns. I've been looking at both Storm Lake and KKM; did you swap out the ejector or extractor? Seems to be varied opinions on yes or no about that around the web...

All I changed was the barrel and magazines, everything else in/on the G23 stayed the same.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I've converted a number of G22's to G17 configuration using a conversion barrel, 9 mm mags, and usually changing the ejector and extractor. Function and accuracy were all fine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I EDC'ed and shot a gen2 G23 for many years, and wore one out. It was reliable with a broad spectrum of ammo, but most so and easiest to shoot with 180gr at ~950-1000fps. I have big hands and ran it pretty well. When retired, I switched to a G19 and haven't looked back. For me, everything about the G19 is better than the G23.

Also, my experience: The high velocity 165s in .40 are most represented in stoppages, least friendly to shooters, and hardest on guns. I would not voluntarily choose them for any purpose.
    I've decided that my Glock 22 works best with the 180's and besides I don't whimper when I shoot them, which is a benefit to nearby shooters. I've had no problems with the 165 grain rounds in an M&P40, though, and it feels not much different from a G 22 with 180's.

User Tag List