Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W Choices

40 S&W Choices

Howdy, folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for a site where the signal to noise ratio is great.

Quick question, primarily for Doc- I have an old Gen2 G23 that has been more or less retired to HD and "road trips" since a switch to a P30 in 9mm. I ran 165 or 180gr Rangers in it; that supply is almost depleted. In looking at the ATK website, it appears that all else being equal, the 165gr Gold Dot has a substantial edge in penetration over the 180gr Gold Dot and 180gr HST.

Doc, have you seen that in your testing? Is anyone aware of actual performance of that round?

Again- much thanks to everyone for a great knowledge base.

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't done so, check out this link.

Hopefully that'll answer your question.

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.40 S&W:
    Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
    Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
    Speer Gold Dot 165 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
    Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
    Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
    Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
    Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
    Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (RA40B/Q4355/S40SWPDB1)

Much thanks, Fred. I already have. I was curious as to whether ATK's testing dovetailed with what Doc has seen in his results. Wondering if their numbers were a bit of an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Onerifle View Post
    Howdy, folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to everyone for a site where the signal to noise ratio is great.

Quick question, primarily for Doc- I have an old Gen2 G23 that has been more or less retired to HD and "road trips" since a switch to a P30 in 9mm. I ran 165 or 180gr Rangers in it; that supply is almost depleted. In looking at the ATK website, it appears that all else being equal, the 165gr Gold Dot has a substantial edge in penetration over the 180gr Gold Dot and 180gr HST.

Doc, have you seen that in your testing? Is anyone aware of actual performance of that round?

Again- much thanks to everyone for a great knowledge base.

Try the 180 gr Federal HST,you'll like it.

There are several versions of the 165 gr loading. I prefer a full power 180 gr loading in .40. However I hate the G23, so my recommendation in your case is to get a 9 mm conversion barrel and call it a day...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks, Doc.

Onerifle: I join in Doc's detestation for the G23, but you obviously like it well enough. I've been trying to figure out why the G23 causes such divergent feelings and my current hypothesis is that people with large hands might be able to control it better than people with smaller hands.

So, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but by any chance do you have large hands? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Onerifle: I join in Doc's detestation for the G23, but you obviously like it well enough. I've been trying to figure out why the G23 causes such divergent feelings and my current hypothesis is that people with large hands might be able to control it better than people with smaller hands.

So, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but by any chance do you have large hands? Thanks.

jeep: I'd guess I have medium-large mitts. I bought the G23 (2nd Gen) new, back when "9mm wasn't good enough". I switched to the P30 in 9mm because the 23 simply just isn't pleasant to shoot anymore, and bulet development in the last 20 years has made caliber wars pretty much a dead horse. I won't get rid of it because it has always been dead nuts reliable; the only guns I've regretted selling were the reliable ones...

You ought to try Doc's recommendation of a 9mm barrel, then, You might find that you really like it when shooting 9's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I don't know if size has anything to do with it. I'm no shrimp, I'm 6'0 220lb and I carried a G23 gen 4 as a duty pistol for about a year as a reserve deputy and I never warmed up to the thing. It just beats you up. Granted, the very first time I shot it, before I qualed they made me shoot 250rnds of 155gr Ranger T series they were trying to get rid of since they were going to 180gr. It took a while to get over the flinch I developed that day... Conversely, I have a G22 gen 4 and couldn't be happier with it. It feels about like a G19 in recoil to me.

If you are going to stick with it, 180gr HST is the load to get. I'd go Doc's route or take it one step further and just ditch it and buy a G19. You won't regret it. Hands down, they are my favorite pistol.

User Tag List