Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot Duty Rifle 75gr load?

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Any new info on official ballistics tests? It doesnt even show up on speer's LE website.
    Official tests are being done. So far, the round is extremely effective in all I have heard of. The "low" velocity is by design. That's where that bullet likes to live. I can attest to that from my back-yard testing. I feel if it were pushed to 5.56 velocity, it would start fragging on close shots.

Is there anything specific that you'd like to know?

I'm really a lot more interested in seeing performance from this round in 10.3", 10.5" and 11.5" barrels. I don't own any 16" ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    Next time lay some old carpet over the 3rd, 4th,5th milk jugs.... that usually will catch a slowed down stray bullet.
    The bullets were bouncing, and it was tested outside. that is why I lost 'em They only had to bounce a few feet into leaf cover to be lost forever. I have recovered a few from 100 yards, now. This round doesn't play. Here is one i recovered from 100. Went through 4 jugs and almost out of the 4th, or into the 5th, I don't recall. It penetrates ALMOST as much as the 70gr TSX. Here are pictures I took of it next to 70gr Browntip for comparison. It was also fired into 100m water jugs and penetrated into the 5th jug, IIRC. The GD is significantly larger in diameter, but this is hidden by the fact that it's "shorter" when viewed from the top. Viewed from the side, it's readily apparent.

My testing shows the petals as more "pressed against the bullet" than the gel testing does. I moved my milk-jugs to have 2" or so separation between them, and my recovered projectiles began looking more like the official testing:
    here is a 15m shot into water jugs with them about 2" apart. With their sides touching, I only get around 0.5" expansion (average dia), and the bullet looks more "streamlined" by its passage through them regarding petal position.

Accuracy has not been an issue either.

*Groups from DDM4 CHF .gov barrel. 16.1"

Of note, the bullet tracks like a laser beam through the water jugs. Even the last jug shows to be hit dead-on by the front of the mushroom, and the holes all line up once it stops obliterating the jugs (usually by the 3rd jug). I think it will be a GREAT hunting bullet for deer this year!
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-21-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Does anyone know if they have test data out there for this round yet? Found some for a good price and it has me interested but was wondering about penetration in a home defense situation

Quote Originally Posted by swarty1 View Post
    Does anyone know if they have test data out there for this round yet? Found some for a good price and it has me interested but was wondering about penetration in a home defense situation
    Yes, official test data exists, but requires an NDA or LE credentials or whatever.

Just finished a range session at 200, 300, and 600 yards.

Rifle was a 16" Sionics medium profile.

Went to the range to confirm zero before the OK biathlon and test some other loads.

Ammo tested:
    IMI Mk262(my go to long range ammo)
    Creedmoor 223 77gr TMK
    Creedmoor 223 75 gr HP(Hornady)
    Speer GD 75 gr
    Wolf Gold 55gr

Temp was 65F (I love the south...)
    Started off at 200 and confirmed zero with all loads. There were slight shifts between each, within 1MOA.

Moved to 300. All but the Gold Dots required 2.5-3 MOA of elevation. Gold Dots required a surprising 5 MOA to go from 200 to 300. This should have been a red flag...

Moved to 600 next. All but the GD required 15-16.5 MOA of adjustment from the 200 yard zero. Gold Dots were off paper. Didn't have a spotter so I have no idea where they landed. I'm assuming low... Initially tried 15.5 MOA, then16.5, then 16.5 holding over... Nada. Gave up not wanting to waste ammo or damage range equipment.

Need to borrow a chrono and see what these are running. My guess is that the MV is much lower than the other 70+gr loads or the BC is much lower than advertised(or both).

It's a shame really because I've gotten fantastic groups at 200 and 300 with the ammo. At $13 a box it's as cheap as the IMI Mk262. If it performed at 600 I'd just switch to it for everything.

Gotta say I'm super impressed with Wolf Gold. It's consistently a 3 MOA load at 300 yards. It even does well at 600 yards when it's warm out and there isn't any wind. For how cheap it is it does better than some "match" loads like Freedom Munitions or ADI.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 01-22-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Just finished a range session at 200, 300, and 600 yards...

Could you advise of the elevation where you were shooting - an estimate is fine - even better if you know the DA or can provide me coordinates etc.

I want to run the numbers on my ballistic calc app quick to see if i can make a few educated guesses about the 75gr GD

thx

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Could you advise of the elevation where you were shooting - an estimate is fine - even better if you know the DA or can provide me coordinates etc.

I want to run the numbers on my ballistic calc app quick to see if i can make a few educated guesses about the 75gr GD

thx
    CMP range in Talladega AL

CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park

https://goo.gl/maps/BCjVpk3mXX92

Temp was 65 with winds gusting up to 10MPH

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    CMP range in Talladega AL

CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park

https://goo.gl/maps/BCjVpk3mXX92

Temp was 65 with winds gusting up to 10MPH
    Thx.

Assuming (let me know if im way off)

16'' Barrel
    65*F Temp
    1,770 DA
    1 in 7 Twist
    100 Yd. Zero
    1.75 In. Sight Height over Bore

My calc. is showing a few example scenarios including the following approx stats. in order to get 5 MOA Elevation needed to get from 200 to 300 yards.

• G1 BC of .150 and Velocity of 2750 FPS
    • G1 BC of .250 and Velocity of 2300 FPS
    • G1 BC of .350 and Velocity of 2100 FPS

thats nuts - are you sure it took 5 MOA of elevation?

I agree it's nuts. My notes show 5 MOA, but maybe I goofed and it was less. Still, it wasn't even on paper at 600 when the other loads were relatively close.
    Maybe it was only 4? It certainly wasn't 3 because I had to dial up from all the others.

Regardless I'm gonna have to go back when I have more time and test again.

User Tag List