Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot Duty Rifle 75gr load?

Well...it's out and easily available...who's shot something with it?

Not sure where the folks who are selling this round are getting their numbers from.
    From one site:

Manufacturer - Speer
    Bullet Weight – 75 grain
    Bullet Type - Gold Dot Bonded Soft-Point
    Muzzle Velocity – 3220 fps
    Casing - Nickel Plated Brass

But then right above it says this: "In addition, these loads feature flash suppressed propellants and a muzzle velocity of up to 3000 fps" WTF?

And here is another one, look at the chart that says 2775 then down below it says 3220. http://www.eagleeyeguns.com/product_p/24475.htm
    Someone please send Skyline a box to chrono.
    I cant seem to find any info on Speers website...
    Last edited by Stone; 11-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not sure where the folks who are selling this round are getting their numbers from.
    From one site:

Manufacturer - Speer
    Bullet Weight – 75 grain
    Bullet Type - Gold Dot Bonded Soft-Point
    Muzzle Velocity – 3220 fps
    Casing - Nickel Plated Brass

But then right above it says this: "In addition, these loads feature flash suppressed propellants and a muzzle velocity of up to 3000 fps" WTF?

And here is another one, look at the chart that says 2775 then down below it says 3220. http://www.eagleeyeguns.com/product_p/24475.htm
    Someone please send Skyline a box to chrono.
    I cant seem to find any info on Speers website...
    I'm already sending a box to 2 other people to chrono, put through gel, and put into animals.

The gel results would be awesome, possibly the same YouTube gentleman can also put some rounds on body armor/plates as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    The gel results would be awesome, possibly the same YouTube gentleman can also put some rounds on body armor/plates as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I don't know the quality of the gel, sometimes he uses clear, sometimes "actual" gel, always calibrated with a BB though, IIRC.
    The meat-shooter kills hundreds of animals per year, and can offer incite into animal reaction from being shot, as well as the technical evidence thereof.
    I bet it performs poorly on SAPI, and cuts soft like a hot knife through butter.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Looking forward to his results. On a side note, I just got an email back from a vendor confirming the 2775fps and that the 3220 was a typo. If the 2775 is from the same 24" test barrel length that Speer tests the other .223 gold dots from it seems like it will be anemic out of anything 16" or under in barrel length. For the life of me I cant figure out why these ammo manuf. use such long test barrels. Hardly anyone runs barrels that long anymore unless its a bolt gun. They need to wake up and realize that the standard barrels these days are around 16" on an AR. I could live with the 2775 if it was from a 16" barrel. It seems like more and more they are down loading these rounds to velocity's that are a joke. I actually had to return some 556 SSA 70g TSX back to Nosler because they advertised 2800fps out of a 16" barrel and when my friend tested it for me it was 2444.
    Last edited by Stone; 11-15-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Looking forward to his results. On a side note, I just got an email back from a vendor confirming the 2775fps and that the 3220 was a typo. If the 2775 is from the same 24" test barrel length that Speer tests the other .223 gold dots from it seems like it will be anemic out of anything 16" or under in barrel length. For the life of me I cant figure out why these ammo manuf. use such long test barrels. Hardly anyone runs barrels that long anymore unless its a bolt gun. They need to wake up and realize that the standard barrels these days are around 16" on an AR. I could live with the 2775 if it was from a 16" barrel.
    Gold Dot uses a faster burning powder. It comes out of shorter barrels pretty darn fast for as slow as it is from a 16" gun.

If your saying I will get better fps out of my 10.5" than I will out of my 14.7" then you just made my day! Made me smile anyways.

I fired several rounds today. Function was good, and recoil impulse was more of a "shove". Hard to explain, but it felt like I was moving more than M193 down the barrel, but not snappy.

I fired 2 rounds into milk jugs full of water, at 15m distance, from a 16.1" DDM4 with a Surefire 556-212 suppressor in place. Both rounds performed identically, penetrating 3 jugs fully, and bouncing off of the far inside wall of the 4th jug trying to get out, but not quite making it. In both shots, the first 2 jugs were gnarled up very badly, but unlike the RA556B and TSX rounds I tested, the jugs in both shots did not "fly off" 5-10 feet to the side. They stayed almost perfectly in place, even though they were all but turned inside out and blown open. I don't know if this is meaningful, or not, but it's an observation.

Bullet #1 measures 0.557" at the widest point, and 0.365" at the narrowest point (a juncture between petals), for an average diameter of .461". It is 0.378" high from the front of the mushroom, to the base of the bullet shank, although petals have folded beyond the base of the shank.
    Bullet #2 measures 0.5415" at the widest point, and 0.355" at the narrowest point (a juncture between petals), for an average diameter of 0.448". It is 0.379" high from the front of the mushroom, to the base of the bullet shank, although petals have folded beyond the base of the shank.

In comparison to RA556B, RA556B penetrated identically in this test, and digging through my notes when I tested it:
    "Terminal performance" was tested using milk jugs full of water, shot at 15 yards.[span style='text-decoration: line-through;'] Both bullets[/span] "exploded" the first 2 jugs in line, and they were both recovered in the 4th jug.[span style='text-decoration: line-through;'] The Barnes, however, split the 3rd jug slightly inside the handle area, and managed to puncture the 5th jug. I believe it may have exited the 4th, compromised the 5th, and "bounced back into" the 4th jug. That's what it looks like to me, anyway.[/span] The RA556B simply dented the living hell out of the 4th jug's opposing side, and maybe have made it spring a tiny leak there.
    The recovered RA556B bullet had a largest and smallest diameter of 0.454" and 0.420", respectively, for an average diameter of 0.437". Its recovered length was 0.40".
    I am sending some Gold Dot to be evaluated at low impact velocities in gel, chronographed, and shot into hogs and deer. For now, I have to say that I favor the RA556B somewhat, although if the velocity on the Gold Dot is better than I think it is (I bet it's dog slow, personally), then it might be a real performer at distance, judging by how "soft" the Gold Dots are, and the prolific boat-tail and small frontal area.

The Gold Dot has a sealed and staked primer, and no neck sealant.

Well, I called it. One guy chronograph ed it at 2424fps from a noveske polygonal 14.5, and 2199 from a 10.5 polygonal. Fail.

User Tag List