Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot Duty Rifle 75gr load?

Maybe they are looking for better long range performance.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Maybe they are looking for better long range performance.
    Then they should push it at 5.56 pressure like everyone else does. The 64gr round expands nicely down to at LEAST 1900fps. That's past 200 yards from a 10.3" gun.

Superior long range performance, better intermediate barrier capability--particularly auto glass, closer trajectory to other 70+ gr ammo.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Superior long range performance, better intermediate barrier capability--particularly auto glass, closer trajectory to other 70+ gr ammo.
    It will be too slow to match any of the other 70gr+ stuff out there unless PPU 75gr was their target.

Lot's of agencies still issue the .223 75 gr Hornady OTM, plus once the 75 gr GD bullet is available, it is easy to load a 5.56 mm version for the right contract...

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun_Symphony View Post
    they went with the "common weight" of 62gr, Doc posted an industry update about it awhile back on lightfighter IIRC
    Guess I missed that memo. Not on lightfighter.

the 64gr Gold Dot (24448) is gone? That was my chosen AR defensive load. Sucks... Any news on when the replacement is going to be available?

About a year ago, Speer announced that the 64 gr Gold Dot was being replaced with the IDENTICALLY performing 62 gr version which had previously been used on contracts for USG LE agencies requiring a 62 gr loading. This is NOT a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Lot's of agencies still issue the .223 75 gr Hornady OTM, plus once the 75 gr GD bullet is available, it is easy to load a 5.56 mm version for the right contract...
    Why do they bother starting with .223 for serious ammo? That never made much sense to me, given that all of the serious AR manufacturers (and even most of the hobbyist guys) do their chambers in 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    Why do they bother starting with .223 for serious ammo? That never made much sense to me, given that all of the serious AR manufacturers (and even most of the hobbyist guys) do their chambers in 5.56.
    Because vast numbers of LE agencies buy Bushampsters and such, then complain that the ammo is the problem when the guns choke.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Bingo...

User Tag List