Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot Duty Rifle 75gr load?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I'm glad there is hope for this round. Thanks for taking the time with it! Definitely appreciate your results.
    More than just hope, IMO.

Based on an 1800fps expansion floor, it should open up out to 300 yards. More "cool" data, is that it PERFECTLY matches my Nightforce NXS 1-4 FC-2's drop hash-marks. Zeroed at 100, the bottom of the circle is 300m, the top of the triangle 400m, and the bottom of the triangle, 500. Within 1 MOA.

Also, it's very accurate, and bucks wind well due to the high BC. It drops into "pistol territory" (velocity-wise) further out than RA556B or XM556FBIT3, as well.

Literally the only thing it gives up is a few hundred FPS from muzzle to about 150 yards, and then the difference is academic and it pulls ahead around the 200 mark.

Looking at my expanded open-air 100 yard shot though...should it HAVE more MV? I'm leaning towards "no".

Why hasn't anyone developed a commercial defensive load with the 75gr Swift Scirocco. It seems like all this other stuff is trying to copy a bullet that I would think would have a superior BC to the GD, and have the benefit of being bonded over the 77gr TMK.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 12-13-2015 at 02:03 AM.

75gr Gold Dot, 142y to deer, 16" barrel.

Where she was hit:

Lung:

Entrance:

Entrance from inside:

Exit:
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-15-2015 at 11:22 PM.

75gr Gold Dot after impacting gel at roughly 1850fps:

I wonder what its expansion threshold is?

Whats the specs on the deer kill? Distance, barrel length? etc,etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Whats the specs on the deer kill? Distance, barrel length? etc,etc...
    As posted.

Also shot some milk-jugs full of water at 100 yards. It went through 4 full jugs, and bounced off of the outside of the 5th one and was lost. The entrance to the 4th jug was a near perfectly round roughly .40 cal hole. I REALLY wish that slug had been recoverable!

Point being, this stuff REALLY seems to penetrate and it tracks straight as a laser.

Any new info on official ballistics tests? It doesnt even show up on speer's LE website.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Also shot some milk-jugs full of water at 100 yards. It went through 4 full jugs, and bounced off of the outside of the 5th one and was lost. The entrance to the 4th jug was a near perfectly round roughly .40 cal hole. I REALLY wish that slug had been recoverable!

Point being, this stuff REALLY seems to penetrate and it tracks straight as a laser.
    Next time lay some old carpet over the 3rd, 4th,5th milk jugs.... that usually will catch a slowed down stray bullet.

User Tag List