Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom AIWB SPMP Review

JM Custom AIWB SPMP Review

"Dress around the gun."
    "Dress natural. Don't stick out."
    "Carry enough gun."
    "Always carry a spare mag."
    "Carry all the time."

Us average joes that have the ability and desire to seek out good instruction and devote enough time to improving our skills will inevitably get preached things similar to and including the quotes above. Unfortunately, we are not all in the same circumstances, and we need to individually balance our own lifestyles with the need to remain prepared. For many of us, this means compromising somewhere, disobeying one of the above quoted directions.

People like Tony are magic workers. They help us do what we're taught to do within the restrictions of our lifestyle choices. They are indispensable.

At this step in my journey, I tried tackling the issue of how to carry a spare mag. I ordered Tony's AIWB SPMP (http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-SPMP.html). When I received it, I couldn't have been more disappointed. popping in a G17 +2 mag and throwing on a t-shirt left me looking like I had a...well...long magazine shaped object jutting out from my gut, even under the baggiest of sweatshirts. Even G19 mags with no extension printed bad. The mag rode very high, there was very little support below the belt, and combined with the taper of the end this lead to it quite literally wedging itself outwards from my body. It was comfortable and convenient, a good range toy, but totally useless for my intended purpose: concealing a spare magazine while carrying.

I sent an email to Tony. Right away he got back and had a solution. He's seen this problem before and got straight to work sending me out a new pouch that he felt would fix the problem, lowering the ride and giving it more support below the belt. I got it today. Wow. It's amazing. It's just as comfortable, convenient, and accessible. The difference is now I can conceal a G17 with a +2 extension under a t-shirt. I am 100% satisfied. I never thought I'd be able to carry a spare mag in my normal clothes given my thin build, except in a coat pocket, but now I think I'll be carrying in Tony's pouch all the time.

I'll have to check back in after I've ran it for awhile, but the outlook is extremely positive so far. I used the first pouch on the range and found it extremely convenient and confidence inspiring. Just like AIWB holsters, I feel in control of my gear and confident that it is secure on my person and easy to get to quickly in a variety of positions. Compared to carrying a spare in under a t-shirt in the more traditional hip or behind-the-hip spot, the AIWB SPMP allows me to clear my cover garment much more reliably. I still need to work on my speed, but behind the hip I'd often end up with a fist full of both shirt and mag. The cant helps a lot here, as it allows me to clear my garment to the right, then come sweeping back leftwards to grab the mag.

The clip is quick and I have full confidence in it holding the pouch on the belt. I just make sure it's set properly when I put it on. It makes a nice positive movement and noise as it sets on my 5-stitch instructor belt. The convenience means I'll carry the mag more and practice with it more often. It makes it easier to form good habits; good habits are what I count on for making me prepared when it counts.

As a quick tip to anyone who uses one of these now or in the future: if you find the pouch wants to pinch the magazine back out a bit, popping it up and making not-positive retention, just crank down on the retention screw a bit. Tony ships them pretty backed out, leading to the bottom pinching more than the top. If you tighten it, it balances out. The mag will then slide in with a soft click and will stay in place. It is no harder to draw, but retains it very well.

If you've read this far, you've waited too long, go buy one of these now!

I, like a lot of guys and gals here have tried many holsters and carriers. Tony is top notch and so are his products. That's why I have number 4 and 5 on order.

Wow,
    I should have known better. I too have had similar issues with my SPMP, but just chalked it up to the pouch design and my body type. I found that because there was not much of the pouch below the belt line there wasn't enough to tuck the magazine into my stomach.

I did find that the more that I pushed it outboard (toward a belt loop for example) it followed my body line better. But, then this created an issue due to where I carry my centerline fixed blad.

If Tony has no qualms about it, could you post some comparison pics of the two pouches?

Again, I should have just called him on this one. I do am a long time JMCK addict with about 7 of his holsters in and around the house.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    "Dress around the gun."
    "Dress natural. Don't stick out."
    "Carry enough gun."
    "Always carry a spare mag."
    "Carry all the time."

Us average joes that have the ability and desire to seek out good instruction and devote enough time to improving our skills will inevitably get preached things similar to and including the quotes above. Unfortunately, we are not all in the same circumstances, and we need to individually balance our own lifestyles with the need to remain prepared. For many of us, this means compromising somewhere, disobeying one of the above quoted directions.

People like Tony are magic workers. They help us do what we're taught to do within the restrictions of our lifestyle choices. They are indispensable.

At this step in my journey, I tried tackling the issue of how to carry a spare mag. I ordered Tony's AIWB SPMP (http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-SPMP.html). When I received it, I couldn't have been more disappointed. popping in a G17 +2 mag and throwing on a t-shirt left me looking like I had a...well...long magazine shaped object jutting out from my gut, even under the baggiest of sweatshirts. Even G19 mags with no extension printed bad. The mag rode very high, there was very little support below the belt, and combined with the taper of the end this lead to it quite literally wedging itself outwards from my body. It was comfortable and convenient, a good range toy, but totally useless for my intended purpose: concealing a spare magazine while carrying.

I sent an email to Tony. Right away he got back and had a solution. He's seen this problem before and got straight to work sending me out a new pouch that he felt would fix the problem, lowering the ride and giving it more support below the belt. I got it today. Wow. It's amazing. It's just as comfortable, convenient, and accessible. The difference is now I can conceal a G17 with a +2 extension under a t-shirt. I am 100% satisfied. I never thought I'd be able to carry a spare mag in my normal clothes given my thin build, except in a coat pocket, but now I think I'll be carrying in Tony's pouch all the time.

I'll have to check back in after I've ran it for awhile, but the outlook is extremely positive so far. I used the first pouch on the range and found it extremely convenient and confidence inspiring. Just like AIWB holsters, I feel in control of my gear and confident that it is secure on my person and easy to get to quickly in a variety of positions. Compared to carrying a spare in under a t-shirt in the more traditional hip or behind-the-hip spot, the AIWB SPMP allows me to clear my cover garment much more reliably. I still need to work on my speed, but behind the hip I'd often end up with a fist full of both shirt and mag. The cant helps a lot here, as it allows me to clear my garment to the right, then come sweeping back leftwards to grab the mag.

The clip is quick and I have full confidence in it holding the pouch on the belt. I just make sure it's set properly when I put it on. It makes a nice positive movement and noise as it sets on my 5-stitch instructor belt. The convenience means I'll carry the mag more and practice with it more often. It makes it easier to form good habits; good habits are what I count on for making me prepared when it counts.

As a quick tip to anyone who uses one of these now or in the future: if you find the pouch wants to pinch the magazine back out a bit, popping it up and making not-positive retention, just crank down on the retention screw a bit. Tony ships them pretty backed out, leading to the bottom pinching more than the top. If you tighten it, it balances out. The mag will then slide in with a soft click and will stay in place. It is no harder to draw, but retains it very well.

If you've read this far, you've waited too long, go buy one of these now!
    Pictures please.

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    Wow,
    I should have known better. I too have had similar issues with my SPMP, but just chalked it up to the pouch design and my body type. I found that because there was not much of the pouch below the belt line there wasn't enough to tuck the magazine into my stomach.

I did find that the more that I pushed it outboard (toward a belt loop for example) it followed my body line better. But, then this created an issue due to where I carry my centerline fixed blad.

If Tony has no qualms about it, could you post some comparison pics of the two pouches?

Again, I should have just called him on this one. I do am a long time JMCK addict with about 7 of his holsters in and around the house.

Thanks!
    imp1295, if you want , send the pouch back with $10 for return shipping and I will switch out the mag pouches, this will go for anyone else who ordered an AIWB mag pouch and was having issues with it printing do to ride height. I have updated the site to include mag specific options so they will ride a little lower for better concealment. If you ordered one of these prior to me changing the mag options , I will contact you prior to shipping to insure your getting the correct mag. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Wow,

I did find that the more that I pushed it outboard (toward a belt loop for example) it followed my body line better. But, then this created an issue due to where I carry my centerline fixed blade.
    Sounds like the same boat. I thought I'd need some sort of extra tuck to wedge the pouch in, but Tony seemed confident that the lower height would be enough and he was right. For me, I think the little below-belt support on the old one combined with the tapered bottom (i.e. "anti tuck") to create a perfect storm. If I find a shirt I otherwise expect to be able to carry under but that makes even the new pouch print, I might consider adding a foam tuck. But right now it's working awesome and I'd rather do without the tuck if possible for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Pictures please.
    I didn't think to snap photos before I sent the old one back, before writing this review, but here are some shots of the new one with a G17+2 mag and a tape measure for reference. This size is too long to properly seat G19 mags, which is A OK with me since I don't run those, but it will hold one by friction in a pinch just fine albeit a bit low and with little to grab.

I just got one of these about a week ago and I love it. I was able to carry mags before, but had to go behind the hip in a Kytex. Tony's carrier is faster and conceals better; if I wanted I could still put one or two behind the hip for additional capacity. It seems to work well for me out of the box; there is a nice little cavity created by the AIWB gun on the other side, and it is the perfect place for a magazine. It's basically "free" space in terms of comfort and concealment.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    I have had one of these for a couple months now. Overall it's good, but I wish it had a bit more length under the belt line. I'm not quite tubby, but I don't have washboard abs either, so when I sit down, there is a tendency for the baseplate end of the mag to want to roll outwards. I think a little more length against the lower abdomen would help keep it tucked in better.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I have had one of these for a couple months now. Overall it's good, but I wish it had a bit more length under the belt line. I'm not quite tubby, but I don't have washboard abs either, so when I sit down, there is a tendency for the baseplate end of the mag to want to roll outwards. I think a little more length against the lower abdomen would help keep it tucked in better.
    nalesq, send it back and I will swap it out for the longer length. Throw a $10 in the box for return shipping. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    Awesome, thanks, will do!

User Tag List