Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TX DPS to adopt the SIG P-320 9mm ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    As a retired Federal agent, I respectfully agree. Ever hear of the Apache Method of Management: You ride your horse until it dies, then you eat it.
    A lot of truth in that statement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If they had a sort of reserve program, vetted and qual'd cops who would be allowed to fly armed on their own time, and add guys from Delta/MARSOC/SEALs to the list, they would have vastly more well trained and armed good guys on flights, and fewer issues with overburden on the FAMs
    I think this would go a long way in helping FAMS domestically. It would allow is to have a little more down time in between our international trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    I think this would go a long way in helping FAMS domestically. It would allow is to have a little more down time in between our international trips.
    One of the most retarded bits of modern life occurred to me at a training when I was helping Ken Good teach a low-light class in Iowa. I was armed as an active duty copper and legally so as per HR218, Ken was not armed and could not legally carry.

Think about the stupidity of a law that disallows guys like Ken, Kyle Lamb, Hackathorn, and/or Paul Howe from carrying a gun anywhere they damn well please, or someone like Scotty Reitz or the dude who shot Osama Bin Laden in the face from carrying on an airplane.

Just an observation.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

"Just an observation."

But it's a very astute observation...

Site Supporter
    I was shooting with a DPS trooper yesterday. He said that they were testing a slew of new 9mms. The 320 was one. Said also that with the M&Ps. during testing. some of the sights flew off.

This was a casual conversation with someone I just met at a match, so who knows? Just gossip. My G17 4th Gen ran just fine, BTW. I really like that gun. Someone was shooting one of those 22 LRs that look like a semi full sized. I didn't catch which one but it jammed sold as a rock. Couldn't be cleared with standard manipulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    Considering that we have training in TTPs every month I don't know if filling the slots with other agency personal would necessarily work. And I don't know of any agency willing to give there agents a "break" from their regular duties to sit on a plane domestically. And we want get into the issues of international trips. Which are a weekly occurrence.
    As an outsider looking in:

Like Kevin, I've often thought the majority of FAMS duties could be taken over as a TDY assignment by federal LEOs (not just 1811s...CBP, US Capitol Police, ect) who go through a course. Burnout isn't a problem in just the FAMS...and as mentioned by Kevin, there's lots of guys in other agencies who would love to just get away for a few months to do something different (just the same as many FAMS would). As for staffing, this would obviously only work if the current FAMS were dispersed to other agencies. You'd still need the same amount of people to fly, obviously...and you wouldn't be able to make it work if you tried pulling from other agencies at their current manpower levels.

Staffing requirements can be managed through some sort of shared services agreement and quotas (even if rotating). If UNGA can happen every year with shared services, so could this theoretical program. A core cadre of professionals kept to a higher standard could be kept for high risk assignments and training purposes, ala the old Sky Marshal program. At the very least, I see no reason why state/county/local LEOs cannot carry on aircraft as Chuck mentioned.

But, this is all just blowing smoke out of my ass. It's fun to think about the economy of manpower/flexibility advantage for both the agencies and gunslingers, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I was armed as an active duty copper and legally so as per HR218, Ken was not armed and could not legally carry.
    I assume you're talking about the plane ride to Iowa? Because HR218 is SUPPOSED to be all-inclusive in all 50 states; stated prohibited areas (like commercial airplanes) excepted, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I assume you're talking about the plane ride to Iowa? Because HR218 is SUPPOSED to be all-inclusive in all 50 states; stated prohibited areas (like commercial airplanes) excepted, of course.

No, we drove. Ken is not LE, he's a retired SEAL.
    www.agiletactical.com

No, we drove. Ken is not LE, he's a retired SEAL.
    Oh... YOU were carrying under the provisions of 218.

In your travels, have you had any occasion to find out how average active-duty LEOs consider 218 (as pertains to retirees)? Of the few I've discussed it with outside of Louisiana, most didn't even know it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Oh... YOU were carrying under the provisions of 218.

In your travels, have you had any occasion to find out how average active-duty LEOs consider 218 (as pertains to retirees)? Of the few I've discussed it with outside of Louisiana, most didn't even know it existed.

Yup, the point being I was armed, and one of the most qualified to be armed people on the entire planet was not, because rules.

I've been to a number of places and found that even in the really bad gun control bastions that they are aware of LEOSA/aka HR218. Been to DC and NYC, no issues in interacting with other LEOs and with security at places where one has to go through a metal detector.
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List