Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New comer and soon to buy first revolver.

Where the gators and crocs live in harmony

New comer and soon to buy first revolver.

Hello all, I just found this forum on google. I am turning 21 on March 3rd, for my birthday I am treating myself to a concealed weapons permit for my dad and I (suprise for him) and am going to order two revolvers, one with his initials and one with mine, and an engraving on both that says like father like son. I am trying to decide and I think I would be best suited for concealed carry with a .45. (Opinions are welcome)!! We both love revolvers and it is one gun neither of us have owned personally. I'm mostly using my tax return, so my budget is going to be about a thousand for the pair of pistols, save the engraving. What my question is, Is what in any of your opinions would be the most reliable revolver, around a $500 dollar price range. Something that will last, that I can give to my son, but with some class and maybe old school so my dad can appreciate it. Please Input-
    Chris from the Glades

Where the gators and crocs live in harmony
    Also, I really enjoy shooting a 357, but not sure if such a large caliber would be a good concealed carry option.

Site Supporter
    Others will be able to help more than I, but with your budget I would focus more on a quality revolver vs engraving. Engraving is something you can always get done later, but purchasing cheap now and quality later gets expensive. Ask me how I know....

A lot of people seem to really like the Ruger GP 100s, and they should fit in your price range. Lots of good used S&W revolvers out there too.

Like I said, someone will be along in a bit to help you out better than I can.

Site Supporter
    A .45 caliber revolver will be big and heavy for concealed carry, but it can be managed with the right gear as long as you are willing to dress around the gun. You will be looking at the N Frame guns from S&W or a Redhawk from Ruger most likely.

If you bring .357Mag/.38 Special into the mix then your options expand considerably. I regularly carry a full-size revolver concealed and it's not overly difficult.

Within your stated budget, you are probably going to need to look for a used gun. Add just a little more and you can get into a new Ruger GP100 or SP101. Add a couple hundred more and you can get into a new S&W. I guess if you want to consider smaller guns (snub-nosed J Frames for example) then maybe you can get into a new revolver for less money.

Every option (including brand selection) has its own pros and cons so I suggest making a list of your priorities and preferences and use that as a starting point for your ultimate selection. Try to get educated on the different offerings and then narrow things down until you come up with the most suitable choice for your wants/needs.

Some things to consider:

Frame size/weight (how big the gun is)
    Caliber
    Capacity (number of rounds)
    Barrel length
    Manufacturer
    Grip options
    Sights (fixed? adjustable? tritium?)
    Condition (new, like-new, well used, beat up, etc...)
    Holster availability

Ruger is the least expensive quality revolver I know of. Still going to cost more than a grand for a pair unless you find a couple nice used ones or go for the LCR.

Two no-lock S&W 442's would be the most practical, IMHO. Put factory Dymandwood grips on 'em for an old school look.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Internal+Lock

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...ProductFinding

J frame's are guns you can carry every day, they're fun to shoot with wadcutters, reliable, and S&W has a lifetime warranty. Much better than buying a couple of boat anchors that'll sit in a safe. You have to be pretty dedicated to carry a large frame revolver. There's a reason the J frame Smith outsells every other revolver made, and has for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Two no-lock S&W 442's would be the most practical, IMHO. Put factory Dymandwood grips on 'em for an old school look.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Internal+Lock

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...ProductFinding

J frame's are guns you can carry every day, they're fun to shoot with wadcutters, reliable, and S&W has a lifetime warranty. Much better than buying a couple of boat anchors that'll sit in a safe. You have to be pretty dedicated to carry a large frame revolver. There's a reason the J frame Smith outsells every other revolver made, and has for some time.
    ^^^What he said^^^
    Most of my knowledge base is "previously owned".

Another plug for the S&W J-frame. Not the first choice for a primary for a lot of people, but probably the most common choice for a secondary out there.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

A J frame or similarly sized gun is excellent for carry but not necessarily the best choice as a first ccw, especially if one has limited experience with revolvers in general.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I'd recommend looking at a couple of Ruger revolvers. Both solid, reliable guns.

. SP-101 .357/.38 3" barrel.

. LCR .38 spl +P 3" barrel.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

User Tag List