Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Verbal aggression at gunpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Many times it doesn't work well for the bad guy though. One burglar in particular tried to run from the dog, got caught, started punching the K9, dog let go and then went in toe reengage, bad guy was bit in the crotchital region but didn't stop fighting, this led to him losing the head of his penis and the entire organ being what they call "degloved".
    Last edited by ILoveSigs; 02-28-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Crotch bit by a K9, or by anything violent with teeth, is in my top 10 of things I never wanna experience.

Site Supporter
    Man, agreed on that one.

Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 03-02-2015 at 03:27 AM.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Depends on the panhandler, which is why my post was as it was. Lots of training for dealing with interpersonal conflict, armed or unarmed, deals with low-motivation attackers because that is the overwhelming likelihood of what most folks will encounter. People have been attacked and killed by panhandlers. But they are few and far between, so training folks to respond to the panhandler as if he were a terrorist trying to make it to Heaven probably isn't the best way to prepare folks for the more common interactions they might face.
    I taught my kids to deal with an unfamiliar dog as if it is unfriendly. 99% of the dogs they meet in their life will be very friendly. I don't think I'm wrong.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

During my time in the San Francisco area, I had thousands of interactions with panhandlers. Only three of them resulted in a scuffle, and all resolved quickly in my favor. But, that's still enough for me to agree with Aray's analogy.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I think the panhandler scenario, well scripted, can be a good one for folks to learn from.

The vast majority of panhandlers in my experience are some level of douchebag, even if it's only being fake crippled and such. Aggressive panhandlers often cross the line into verbal and physical intimidation. This can ramp up and down a continuum. An example would be the 6'4, 350lb dude I almost had to shoot in broad daylight in the French Quarter a few years ago. Others can be handled with good verbal skills, command presence, etc.

I often use such a branched mini scenario when I do OC training for non LE, Claude has particularly enjoyed being my defender when doing demos at Tac and Paul-E (one of the branches has him spraying me with inert...).
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I think the panhandler scenario, well scripted, can be a good one for folks to learn from.

The vast majority of panhandlers in my experience are some level of douchebag, even if it's only being fake crippled and such. Aggressive panhandlers often cross the line into verbal and physical intimidation. This can ramp up and down a continuum. An example would be the 6'4, 350lb dude I almost had to shoot in broad daylight in the French Quarter a few years ago. Others can be handled with good verbal skills, command presence, etc.
    This time of year we have a lot of them, because no shit, they come down just like the Canadian snowbirds. They range from passive (hold a sign and wait) to asking everybody. Some of them select just like minor criminals, which they undoubtedly are, hitting on women, elderly, the unaware. So awareness and a hard look often deters them.

The other advice I've offered people is that they need to learn what drug addicts look like. If you don't have years of street or ER experience, I find the pharmacy is a great place. Afternoon is best. Just browse nearby and eavesdrop on the stories of people wanting to re-up their Xanax or Oxy because they ate or sold a month's supply in two weeks.

Then there are nuts. Not Planters, but the mentally ill. Not far from here there was a case that got a lot of media because a mentally ill homeless guy butchered a dude in broad daylight at a fast food place because he thought the guy was some sort of spy. Having battled my share of them, mentally ill are high on beware list.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Well we don't know how this started. It appears the two woman were fighting and then the man gets involved. After he hits her several times they are separated somehow. The man appears to be walking away when the women who was hit produces a gun at starts to follow him.

I can understand how a women who has just been beat on several times by a larger and stronger man feels as if her life was in danger, but once she secures her gun, my question is: wouldn't it have been better for her to stay put, "Stand Her Ground" if you will, request someone call the police and if the man returns, and she believes her life to be in danger, at that point do what is necessary? STOP THE THREAT!

Point being, did she potentially open herself to unnecessary scrutiny by following the Whack Job as far as she did?
    I believe most who CCW may not realize even if 100% Good Shoot, Their life will never be they same. At the very least many may be ruined financially. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6, BUT....

Quote Originally Posted by Aray View Post
    I taught my kids to deal with an unfamiliar dog as if it is unfriendly. 99% of the dogs they meet in their life will be very friendly. I don't think I'm wrong.
    No disagreement. But I don't think that means one should therefore treat all dogs as if they were rabid, which is the difference to me.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List