Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Game of Thrones? THAR BE SPOILERS HERE

The one word echoing through the entire episode:

Lackluster.

Cinematography was actually pretty damn decent as it was in most of the season, but there was nothing much remaining story-wise to care about. Drogon should have gone rogue and roasted everyone one the set.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    Jon will now have to reluctantly kill Daenerys and her flying lizard.
    One out of two ain't bad...

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Sansa is the Queen Regent of the North. [and]
    Sansa basically is the real life version of Elsa (minus the freezing powers of course) She is perfectly happy on her own without a man.

John has moved to the far North [and]
    He ends up marrying Tormund, and they adopt 5 wildling children.
    Dude, you must have been on that Reddit spoiler page!

Name:  Screenshot 2019-05-20 at 2.20.22 AM.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  27.8 KB
    Name:  ezgif.com-webp-to-png.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  68.8 KB
    Last edited by Aisin Gioro; 05-20-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Is it just me or was that look that Sansa gave during the choosing ceremony speak: "Fine! You don't want me as Queen? I'm taking my ball and going home! The North shall be freeeeeee!!!!!!"

Also, to paraphrase from Brian Lowry's review on CNN today (https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/19/enter...w/index.html):

Danny and the Night King are in purgatory and she says to him, "I had a dragon and thousands of loyal troops, you had an undead ice dragon and millions of zombies (with the potential for more at any given moment) and here we both are because of a lousy dagger!!"

cc

Well, THAT was underwhelming......

HBO has a long history of crappy series endings. Rome and Deadwood got whacked too soon. Sopranos with that WTF? ending.

I cancelled my HBO channel on Amazon immediately after episode 6. Without boxing and GOT, I can't think of a single reason to have that channel.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

My wife who hasn't been thrilled with this season, but also hasn't been vocal about badmouthing it, even said how disappointing that ending was.

Some final thoughts/questions:

1. Why is there a Night's Watch now? (even John asks)
    2. So the North gets freedom and the other 6 are ok with being subjugated by a single monarch?
    3. Grey Worm lets both John and Tyrion live after what they did? He then says he will leave their fates to a bunch of white people he doesn't know from a bunch of places he doesn't know?
    4. Since when was discovery a thing for Arya? TTBOMK she's never mentioned interest in it once in the entire series.
    5. Bran, really? He suffered difficulties early on, but for the past 2, maybe 3 or 4 seasons all he has done is be a bump on a log. We don't know anything about his desires. His opinions on governing, wealth, etc, etc.
    6. The whole, "he wrote a book called song of ice and fire" felt corny. Reminded me of a Family Guy episode where Peter made fun of movies which use their titles somewhere in the dialogue (Clear and Present Danger)
    7. No further explanation of why Danny went mad.
    8. Tyrion forgives Bronn for hitting him and threatening to kill Jamie and appoints him to the council?
    9. Guess the whole true and rightful heir thing Varys was talking about came to a big nothing.

I was fully expecting another Stark to die, either Sansa or Bran. I did pull for them though, but felt like giving all of them peace and happiness at the end was a big cop out.

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 05-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Yeah, it wasn't a stellar conclusion but I'm glad Jon Snow escaped that friggin' farce.

That said, the conclusion to "The Americans" really made me wish I had never watched an episode of that particular show. I've come to expect similar over the years.

Unfortunately, this also occurs in books where the author seems to have just wanted to be done with it.

And so it goes...(Vonnegut got that right.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I'm beginning to think the only character whose arc will be 100% satisfying for me on the show is Arya. I found the ends of Varys, Jaime and Cercei to make thematic sense, but they came with far too little build up at the end. I have a feeling Bran's story will be the least satisfying of all.

Tyrion and Sansa in charge of the realm would be badass!
    I ended up more satisfied with the denouement of most of the character arcs than I thought I would be, but while Bran's arc wrapped up better than I thought it would, I still find it the least satisfying of the arcs--why is anyone sure that the Three Eyed Raven has the best interests of humanity at heart? Didn't he basically spread knowledge of Jon's true parentage to drive Dani to the edge to place himself on the throne at the expense of thousands dead?

Varys is a close second. Why did he ever think Viserys was suitable for the Iron Throne? Or Dani? Especially when it looked like they would be bringing a Khal with them?

Otherwise, this episode had satisfying finishes for all the other characters, even if we got there without enough exposition. My favorite finish was Breanne writing an end to Jaime's story, which was a nice cap to her own arc, showing how she has everything she could want as a knight, and it gave a more satisfying end to Jamie's story as well.

My biggest complaint would be how the North got it's freedom back--that needed a lot more exposition to make any sense, given the lack of protest. Nice to see Sansa shoot her uncle down, though.

Overall, I'm fine with 8 years of this show. It wasn't "The Wire," or "Treme," or "The Sopranos," or even "The Leftovers," but only a few shows are.

Thank god it wasn't "The Xfiles," "Lost," any of the recent Star Wars flicks aside from "Rogue One," and it was still smarter than all the Marvel and DC films of the past decade or so.

The petition to remake the last season falls under "first world problems" and "shit that wouldn't make anyone happy even if they did it." Sure I would have liked more plot development, but I'm happier with what we have than some uninspired shit like the whole Dorne bit.
    I imagine more development of anything I found lacking above would have had a decent chance of turning out like Dorne.

Of course, ep.3 of this season mostly gave me what I wanted anyway, and I decided at that point anything else that was satisfying was gravy, as I couldn't see anyway to wrap up most of the arcs well in the time remaining.

I'm moving on to waiting for Watchmen-- which looks like the comic book mixed with "The Leftovers"-- which sounds amazing to me. Hell, I'm excited to see Don Johnson as creepy Rorschach-cult leader, or whatever he is. The cops-as-masked heros idea should lead to some fun discussion on P-F.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 05-20-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I must be the only guy on the planet that likes S8, and the Finale too. I thought it was excellent.

Kinda miss Drogon, though. Hope he’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I must be the only guy on the planet that likes S8, and the Finale too. I thought it was excellent.

Kinda miss Drogon, though. Hope he’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I liked it quite a bit, just gotta bitch after 8 years
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List