Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Game of Thrones? THAR BE SPOILERS HERE

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    My wife who hasn't been thrilled with this season, but also hasn't been vocal about badmouthing it, even said how disappointing that ending was.

Some final thoughts/questions:

1. Why is there a Night's Watch now? (even John asks)
    2. So the North gets freedom and the other 6 are ok with being subjugated by a single monarch?
    3. Grey Worm lets both John and Tyrion live after what they did? He then says he will leave their fates to a bunch of white people he doesn't know from a bunch of places he doesn't know?
    4. Since when was discovery a thing for Arya? TTBOMK she's never mentioned interest in it once in the entire series.
    5. Bran, really? He suffered difficulties early on, but for the past 2, maybe 3 or 4 seasons all he has done is be a bump on a log. We don't know anything about his desires. His opinions on governing, wealth, etc, etc.
    6. The whole, "he wrote a book called song of ice and fire" felt corny. Reminded me of a Family Guy episode where Peter made fun of movies which use their titles somewhere in the dialogue (Clear and Present Danger)
    7. No further explanation of why Danny went mad98. Tyrion forgives Bronn for hitting him and threatening to kill Jamie and appoints him to the council?
    9. Guess the whole true and rightful heir thing Varys was talking about came to a big nothing.

I was fully expecting another Stark to die, either Sansa or Bran. I did pull for them though, but felt like giving all of them peace and happiness at the end was a big cop out.
    I
    cc

Nice list! It got me thinking.

On #2, yes. As I said above, needs more expo!

#3---Grey Worm and Jon should have had a death duel after Dany died. But Direwolf snuggles was heartwarming later!

#4--I only know this because of too much topic surfing, but Ayra asked the same question of her tutor in season one. She wasn't particularly bloodthirsty until her Dad was killed. I think she's always wanted adventure, she just also wanted revenge for a while. It was limited to her list. I had no problem with the Hound getting her to turn around from killing Cersei, either. He just made her see she was getting her revenge regardless, and there was no need to be as stupidly obsessive as him.

#5--I don't see why the non-Stark characters would be swayed by Tyrion's speech about Bran---another more expo needed bit

#6--is it any more cheesy than "There and back again?" (Tolkien) I thought this fit in-universe mythology fine, but I seem to be in the minority

#7--I know the show shoved "Targaryens, flip a coin" down our throat, but I don't think she was any madder than Hamlet in the Shakespeare play. A tragic character brought down by flaws in her character, e.g. a fiery temper, a sense of divine entitlement, being gifted with supernatural assets that allowed her far too many no-compromise wins which led to hideous inflexibility , etc. I think Tyrion's speech in the last ep summed it up perfectly. That speech seemed aimed at the audience more than anyone. She was probably never well suited for being a healing monarch. But she was a pretty underdog. Audiences love pretty underdogs.

#8--Lanisters pay their debts? Tyrion does seem to keep his word, no matter what, and he did tell Bronn to make the deal he ends up making if "anyone sends you to kill me."

#9 Varys and what's-his-beard-from-Essos's plotting from season one (and book one) is a bit hard to figure, given how Varys's motives developed. I think Martin is to blame here. Admittedly, it's hard to come up with a convoluted plan than makes complete sense unless you are actually a master schemer in real life.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 05-20-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Oh, on #1-- well, as Tyrion said, they need a place for bastards. The real world hierarchy of the Catholic Church pretty much developed to have a place for non-land inheriting nobles to go and be less threatening to the inheritors. Also, I imagine a hideous supernatural threat from beyond the wall seems more possible now. Did we ever get a clear message that killing the Night King was a sure end to the threat forever? It could sure be implied, but I don't think a guarantee was given. Plus, someone's got to regulate the wildlings and keep them out of conflict with anyone else.

On a related note, anyone think we are actually getting an ending to the books, ever? I would place odds at 15% and falling, but still far higher than the chance Gerrold ever finishes "War Against the Chtorr." (Last book published=1993, promises of "almost done" for nearly 30 years) I think we were probably doomed from the moment Martin told the showrunners the broad strokes of his planned ending. Still dying to know what the Faceless Man at the Citadel was up to.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    ...why is anyone sure that the Three Eyed Raven has the best interests of humanity at heart? Didn't he basically spread knowledge of Jon's true parentage to drive Dani to the edge to place himself on the throne at the expense of thousands dead?...
    Wasn't he able to see the past and the future? In the end, he as much said that everyone did what they needed to do to get where they are and where they needed to be next. No one needed to apologize for what they did, it was the way to the future.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

#3---Grey Worm and Jon should have had a death duel after Dany died. But Direwolf snuggles was heartwarming later!
    Absolutely. Before or after Daenerys' death makes little difference to me. With the obvious tension building between them in ep. 5 and exacerbating in the beginning of 6 created the perfect set up for a Battle Royale between them so that did seem an excellent possibility. This one event would have traveled an enormous distance in the Season Eight Redemption Arc.

I dunno man, I guess I never quite got past the completely idiotic battle strategies of The Long Night. Episodes one and two were quite decent and I enjoyed a second and third viewing of each looking for hidden clues, etc. -- part of the fun of the show -- but had no desire to watch any others of this season more than once. The IMDB scores seemed to follow a similar path after ep 2 as well eventually culminating with a whopping 4.5 for the finale.

Little did we know that the Night King was actually protecting the realm from the various incarnations of Batshit Bird.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

For anyone that doesn't have HBO season 8 is now available for purchase on Amazon.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Wasn't he able to see the past and the future? In the end, he as much said that everyone did what they needed to do to get where they are and where they needed to be next. No one needed to apologize for what they did, it was the way to the future.
    Yeah, kind of an obvious truism though, even for Bran. The world is always the way it is because of the sum total of the actions and events leading up to the present moment.

As Dylan said:

You don't need a weather man
    To know which way the wind blows
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

1. Why is there a Night's Watch now? (even John asks)
    For the same reasons it existed for a few thousand years prior to the 2nd Long Night, when people thought the White Walkers were an ancient myth.

2. So the North gets freedom and the other 6 are ok with being subjugated by a single monarch?
    If I'm not mistaken, the North was historically an independent kingdom for thousands of years up until the Targaryan Conquest (Sansa even mentions this), and even under the Targaryan Dynasty they were sort of treated like an impartial actor. They're also ethnically/racially different, being descendants of the First Men, not the Andals like the rest of Westeros. They're also not a trade hub or any kind....Westeros doesn't really gain anything by having the North, nor does the North gain anything by being part of anyone else's empire. It's a very different story for the rest of Westeros. Geopolitics.

Basically, the North being an independent kingdom is the norm, not an exception.

3. Grey Worm lets both John and Tyrion live after what they did? He then says he will leave their fates to a bunch of white people he doesn't know from a bunch of places he doesn't know?
    That one I thought was kind of weird, but keep in mind that Grey Worm was a slave soldier. He's not the type of personality that makes decisions on his own. He's been trained since birth to do what other people tell him, not to make decisions for himself.

There's also the fact, as Sansa pointed out, that he was going to die if Jon was harmed. Mexican stand off, if you will.

4. Since when was discovery a thing for Arya? TTBOMK she's never mentioned interest in it once in the entire series.
    She had a conversation specifically about what she wanted to do in life, and that was going west of Westeros. Season 4, I think.

Her independent nature, wanting for someone other than simply being a Lady of House Stark or House Baratheon, was pretty well cemented by this time as well.

7. No further explanation of why Danny went mad.
    Did the show need to give further explanation? It was pretty well laid out.

Her best friend was beheaded in front of her, and 2 of her 3 babies killed (1 by the forces of House Lannister). She was kinda sorta pissed and just wanted to kill people after that.

She's also the descendent of a family that is habitually incestual over hundreds of years which has led to insanity running in the family (the whole "Mad King" thing). It was bound to happen, in keeping with her family lineage.

There was the dragon melting the Iron Throne, sort of poetically as it meant even the Dragon knew that the Iron Throne and her lust for it is what drove her into her current state. Absolute power corrupts, that whole thing.

Finally, she outright stated her reasons for "going mad" and becoming a straight up murderous bitch.....it's because Westeros feared her, not loved her. It was a conscious decision on her part to double down on cruelty. She foreshadowed it many seasons ago as well when she proclaimed that she would take Westeros with "fire and blood".
    Last edited by TGS; 05-21-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the North was historically an independent kingdom for thousands of years up until the Targaryan Conquest (Sansa even mentions this), and even under the Targaryan Dynasty they were sort of treated like an impartial actor. They're also ethnically/racially different, being descendants of the First Men, not the Andals like the rest of Westeros. They're also not a trade hub or any kind....Westeros doesn't really gain anything by having the North, nor does the North gain anything by being part of anyone else's empire. It's a very different story for the rest of Westeros. Geopolitics.

Basically, the North being an independent kingdom is the norm, not an exception.
    All of the 7 kingdoms were historically independent (hence "7 kingdoms") until Aegon's Conquest. The North was one of the 6 that Aegon brought under his unified rule. It was Dorne who remained a separate kingdom for over 150 years. The people of Dorne - the Rhoynar - are more ethnically and politically different from the Andals and First Men than those two are from each other. If anyone is going to be a separate kingdom, it will be Dorne.

Or the Iron Islands. Those guys are completely separate - they're islands - and they've tried to declare themselves a separate kingdom like 3 times just since the Conquest.

There is no way that Dorne and the Iron Islands sit by, watch the North secede, and don't say 'Wait, that was an option? We're doing that too."
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    For anyone that doesn't have HBO season 8 is now available for purchase on Amazon.
    Si

https://amzn.to/2WeBMY9
    #RESIST

Grey Worm lets both John and Tyrion live after what they did? He then says he will leave their fates to a bunch of white people he doesn't know from a bunch of places he doesn't know?
    cc
    Sacking King’s Landing and putting Lannister prisoners to the sword is exhausting. Clearly Grey Worm and the Unsullied were too tired to execute Jon for regicide.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List