Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NGD: Walther PPS

Was my primary carry for about a year before I realized I could get away with a G19 which was easier to do just about everything with. I got a lot of compliments like "you shoot that little gun really well," and similar. Particularly when taking advanced level classes with it where everyone else was running full-size, open carry type rigs that couldn't be concealed easily.

The PPS is great, though I dislike the magazines. The dot on the front sight is recessed, so it can get filled with leather/powder residue/dirt. I filled mine in with orange acrylic paint which doubled as an upgrade to my sight acquisition time. Never did end up getting night sights for it, too hard to find a good deal on, but Trijicon HDs are available now so at least there is a good option. Highly recommend the large backstrap; in addition to feeling better, with the small one in place my palm would stop magazines from dropping free. With the large, my palm is a smidge further away allowing the magazines to reliably drop free. Be cautious on speed reloads, I got more than one blood blister. The trigger gets significantly better after 1,000 rounds or so. I'll never get rid of mine, but it hasn't been out of the safe since I started carrying my Glock; there's been no situation where I can't conceal the G19 AIWB but could conceal the PPS. It is straight to the J-frame in those situations.

Oh and the striker indicator does behave exactly like a Gadget in my experience. I tested it extensively with an unloaded gun and could not make the trigger break.

My review: http://everydayloadout.com/walther-pps-review.html

Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    IME playing around with this feature, I found it to NOT work like the gadget. It is close to impossible to prevent the striker from moving if the force of the trigger pull is legit (as in a fast reholstering with something in the way of the trigger). Where it works is as a tactile check to let you know something is moving the trigger against your wishes and to let you know to STOP what you are doing.

While not as good as blocking the trigger, it is still a positive safety feature and it is one of the reasons I run the PPS AIWB.
    I don't know about you, but I've never felt comfortable doing fast reholsters with any gun. At a minimum, I'm going to look at what I'm doing prior to pointing a gun at my junk.

As stated, I've been unable to make the trigger break, and I've tried many times. Perhaps our ideas of a "legit" trigger pull are different. Do I trust it to 100% prevent the big loud noise? No, because I think the striker indicator is flimsy, and it's also thin -- I want something wider to push down on. Do I trust it enough to do it every time I reholster the PPS? Absolutely, for the reason mentioned in your final sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I'm all ears for any info, tips, tricks, whatnot for the PPS. Best place to get mags, night sights?
    CDNN carries mags for a decent price.
    I'm a fan of Trijicon HD night sights.
    I carry mine in a Highnoon Hideaway (horsehide w/clip).
    The PPS has been my go to ccw for the past 6 months or so.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

L
    Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    I don't know about you, but I've never felt comfortable doing fast reholsters with any gun. At a minimum, I'm going to look at what I'm doing prior to pointing a gun at my junk.
    I never said I ever do a fast reholster. I said it is pretty hard to completely stop the striker from firing with thumb pressure when there is a reasonable force on the trigger. The fast reholstering comment was an effort to quantify what a legit trigger pressure would be, rather than leaving it up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The PPS has been my go to ccw for the past 6 months or so.

Well look at you! When did you join our club?

You rock Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I've been in the PPS club off and on for a while.
    I had one of the first PPS's released (I've been a Walther fan since buying a P99 in 1999).
    I was leery of them after watching a backstrap fly off (disabling the gun) during a vigorous range session, but in hindsight i'm pretty sure it was an assembly error instead of a fault in the design.
    I started carrying the PPS after switching from P2000 LEM to the VP9, the PPS trigger is a good match with the VP9 trigger.

I was the Dark Star guinea pig for the orange minimalist holster Cecil has (except mine is in cool guy Roswell alien green).
    Awesome holster that does exactly what I want (it's basically a kydex copy of my Highnoon leather). I use it at the range and in matches. I do so much driving in a day, in hot weather that leather works better for me as a carry holster

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Craig, am I correct in remembering that Grant gave your trigger some love? Anything more than stoning/polishing?

Site Supporter
    Jody,
    Is that Dark Star holster a special run item or is it a regularly stocked one? It looks very similar to my FIST ultra thin kydex but much more durable.
    Thanks,
    Carl

Tried one today... was surprised in a great way for a small pistol felt as easy to shoot and control as my G19. In fact, felt like easier to get a more controlled consistent grip. Didn't even mind the weird nubby sights too much. Shoots like a G19 but more concealable and comfortable...could be dangerous.

Oh yeah trigger matches my preference more and can block the striker as well!

User Tag List