Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cause of S&W M&P9 Inaccuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Not something that you can check with just a feeler gauge set.
    How would you measure it, and is it really the indicator of accuracy problems that the officer quoted above seems to have thought it was?

EDIT TO ADD: And if so, is it consistent across semi-auto pistols?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

What are the competition pros that shoot the M&P using? Are they shooting 9mm or using .40S&W in their M&P's?

Sirs -

Picture of a target from my range visit Friday.

Gun is a Oct 13 build M&P FS9, Apex D/CAEK, with 2,200+ rounds. This was in the middle of the session, shooting Speer GD 124+p HP ammo non-supported two handed at 25 yards.

I am happy with the 83-2X (a personal best for me) but: half of the rounds are off the black, and half the rounds grouped nicely.

Now, noting I am a completely self-taught shooter, who took up the sport 18 months ago in middle age, would you think that:

A - I still have some way to go on trigger control, i.e. the pattern is just reflective of where I am at in my shooting, or

B - This is a good example of the erratic nature of the FS 9, in particular beyond 7 yards, that is the subject of this thread?

?

Name:  best-b8.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  26.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Hard to tell.

Are you to the point yet where you can call your shots? If so, do the flyers generally match the calls?

I agree with Dave. Shoot another gun and see what happens.

It's much easier to diagnose when one gun sucks and the other is good when fired from the same shooter.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Have a good shooter test it; also test it off a rest...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

^^^ Thanks for the input. Working on both suggestions (I'm in the market for another gun as an alternative, and I will attempt to shoot the M&P off a rest at next opportunity.)

Today, after cleaning and reassembly, I noticed that when I dropped in the barrel into the frame, before I put the recoil spring in, I could wiggle the barrel back and forth a little. Not saying a huge amount, mind you, but it was noticeable. If I get a chance to try the feeler gauge in there, I'll post up what the clearance is.

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    ^^^ Thanks for the input. Working on both suggestions (I'm in the market for another gun as an alternative, and I will attempt to shoot the M&P off a rest at next opportunity.)

Today, after cleaning and reassembly, I noticed that when I dropped in the barrel into the frame, before I put the recoil spring in, I could wiggle the barrel back and forth a little. Not saying a huge amount, mind you, but it was noticeable. If I get a chance to try the feeler gauge in there, I'll post up what the clearance is.
    I have a few samples of some of the more accurate 9mm service pistols out there that you can shoot whenever you want to head up my way. I will guarantee that any of them can easily shoot <= 3" for 10-rounds at 25 yards and you're welcome to shoot my ammo to verify. Some are capable of much less than 3" with the right load.

I wouldn't buy a new gun until you verify yours is a problem. It's too easy to chase hardware solutions and if there isn't one there, you're better off sticking with what you've spent 18 months shooting.

Regarding barrel to hood gap, it's common in stock Glocks and M&Ps. I measured all my Gen 4 Glocks with the stock barrels and they average .003" - .004" for instance. My aftermarket Glock barrels average .0015" to .000", depending on mfg. and how tightly they were fit.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I have a few samples of some of the more accurate 9mm service pistols out there that you can shoot whenever you want to head up my way. I will guarantee that any of them can easily shoot <= 3" for 10-rounds at 25 yards and you're welcome to shoot my ammo to verify. Some are capable of much less than 3" with the right load.

I wouldn't buy a new gun until you verify yours is a problem. It's too easy to chase hardware solutions and if there isn't one there, you're better off sticking with what you've spent 18 months shooting.

Regarding barrel to hood gap, it's common in stock Glocks and M&Ps. I measured all my Gen 4 Glocks with the stock barrels and they average .003" - .004" for instance. My aftermarket Glock barrels average .0015" to .000", depending on mfg. and how tightly they were fit.
    Thanks a bunch, much appreciate the offer. I'll PM you when I get a open day to drive up. Won't be this weekend as we have family in for a St Paddy's party.

I totally get what you are saying, The sensible part of my brain agrees with you. Why chase a problem that may exist only between my ears?

On the other hand, the fun-loving devil may care side of me says Hell yes go buy that new P320C!! The modularity of the FCU is totally cool, and by all accounts it is accurate as heck out of the box. Plus, it even is a bit smaller than my M&P but still packs 15 rounds. So I have to deal with that devil as well.

Might want to wait until they have been in use at least 18 months by a large agency to see how things shake out...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List