Thread: Score adjustment for transition to weapon after failure?

Score adjustment for transition to weapon after failure?

I organize some small group 2-gun drills.

If a particular drill/string focuses on pistol, but the pistol goes down, we encourage transition to the carbine and vice-versa. However, transitioning from pistol to carbine gives the shooter a hit advantage.

I use 2 types of scoring depending on the drill and the purpose; points only -or- IDPA-style points and time.

Any suggestions on how to handle scoring for a transition to the opposite weapon?

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

This really depends on how the stages are set up, but if the gains are significant maybe give an IDPA procedural (the procedure was to shoot the targets with pistols, not rifles, therefore 3 second penalty).

Since they're getting an advantage and using a backup gun I would imagine you'd want them penalized in some form for using the superior weapon and letting their pistol fail (I assume mechanically and not just because of running dry). You could also require twice as many hits with carbines or something if it's a fast stage where a procedural would completely destroy a score.

Lots of options, you just gotta get creative
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    This really depends on how the stages are set up, but if the gains are significant maybe give an IDPA procedural (the procedure was to shoot the targets with pistols, not rifles, therefore 3 second penalty).

Since they're getting an advantage and using a backup gun I would imagine you'd want them penalized in some form for using the superior weapon and letting their pistol fail (I assume mechanically and not just because of running dry). You could also require twice as many hits with carbines or something if it's a fast stage where a procedural would completely destroy a score.

Lots of options, you just gotta get creative
    Nice! Thanks.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

User Tag List