Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last stand of the PowerPoint Rangers

Site Supporter

Last stand of the PowerPoint Rangers

This appears promising.

in a sign of how Carter intends to change his commanders thinking, he has banned them from making PowerPoint presentations
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...9a9_story.html

After working in Aerospace Engineering as a .civ for 30+ years, IMHO high quality, effective briefings have little to do with the method chosen for the presentation, and everything to do with the thought that goes into them before hand.

If Mr. Carter's point is to make one think before picking up the mouse, I'd be all for that. PP does make it fairly easy to create low SNR presentaitons, I will grant you that.

It's come to this. LOL wow. paradigms shattered.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Let's go easy on the PowerPoint bashing. Some of us bring enlightenment and banish ignorance from the dark corners of the world using a well researched *.PPT file.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Let's go easy on the PowerPoint bashing. Some of us bring enlightenment and banish ignorance from the dark corners of the world using a well researched *.PPT file.
    No kidding.

This is truly asinine.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    (Speaking from the corporate world...)

Sure, most of the bad meetings I attended in the past focused around PowerPoint. And many PowerPoint presentations I see could use a lot of improvement. Neither of those is the fault of the software. It just so happens that it's such a user-friendly tool, even morons can create presentations. Ask those people to use any other presentation medium and it would be just as shitty.

The flip side is that all of the best meetings I've ever attended also had PowerPoint presentations. It just so happens they were prepared by intelligent people who were familiar with the material (and knew how to create a deck better than just "I'm going to show you 40 pages of bullet points and read them out loud to you").

God forbid anyone bother to learn better strategies, or have their people coached. Rather than help people make better PowerPoint presentations (which in turn would help them make better presentations of any kind), let's just forbid them from using it. Problem solved! I'm sure the people who made shitty PowerPoints will now magically make awesome presentations. I'm sure their inability to create concise, relevant slides is in no way correlated to any inability to communicate concise, relevant information.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

It would be better if he made them watch this instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68a6M5FFBc

Site Supporter
    PowerPoint is a great tool. But, like opiates it has a high potential for abuse.

Sitting though a 100 slide military presentation should be a sentencing option in criminal court.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Sounds like they need to hire Tiffany for a class on "How to do Power Point without botching it"
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List