Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 mm Fed 180 gr TB JSP

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Cast Core is the most common "commercial" hard cast load I see around Alaska. I bet there is more of it riding in .357, .41 mag and .44 mag revolvers than any other hard cast load in Alaska. The issue with a Federal Cast Core load in 10mm, is I am not sure it will be compatible with Glock OEM barrels. The hard cast has run fine in my 1066/1076.

DocGKR, what would be a good medium to test the Trophy Bonded load and simulate penetration in a bear's skull? Would a stack of 2x4's do it, or is there something more realistic? In light of your comments above, I would like to test the TB along with the Hornady 200 XTP (which has been my long running commercial load for my 10mm Glock pistols).
    Lead can be shot rather easily through Glocks, if you clean them afterwards. Not sure how much CastCore a guy would run through a gun, ain't exactly plinking ammo.

I think Doc told me the auto glass tests might be the most applicable to skulls, makes sense since both are hard and angled, and tear bullets up.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Yup, windshields work well.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yup, windshields work well.
    help a noob -- what kind of windshield, where do you get that sort of thing (legally) and what do you put behind it to measure the penetration after it goes through the windshield?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We get windshields from auto glass places, they normally are just throwing the old broken windshields away.
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I don't think the 10mm will ever see it's true potential for anti-personnel use unless someone designs a purpose built 200-220gr bullet made for that velocity envelope.

The available solids could use some work as well, Federal could easily make one of the CastCore types for that line of ammo.
    Our 10mm duty load has performed really well in actual shootings. My understanding is that it works a fair bit better than any of our other handgun rounds. 8" barrel though. Closer to 9" really. Don't know what that does to the velocity, other than up it.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-24-2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: bbl length

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    We get windshields from auto glass places, they normally are just throwing the old broken windshields away.
    what do you put behind the windshield to measure penetration, or is your test just whether it gets through the windshield?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    what do you put behind the windshield to measure penetration, or is your test just whether it gets through the windshield?
    Mainly water jugs or a Fackler box, because we are Neanderthals, but a few times it's been gelatin
    www.agiletactical.com

Some ATK data that includes windshield performance. 9mm 124 +P and .357 Sig 125 penetrated a lot of gel after the windshield.

http://le.atk.com/downloads/catalogs/GoldDotPoster.pdf

Same data from the link Doc provides in the Ammo section but incl HST http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/l...omparison.aspx
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Our 10mm duty load has performed really well in actual shootings. My understanding is that it works a fair bit better than any of our other handgun rounds. 8" barrel though. Closer to 9" really. Don't know what that does to the velocity, other than up it.
    I suspect you are not a liberty to say what your duty load is?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'd take an MP5/10 over a SB AR in 223 any day of the week.

User Tag List