Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 mm Fed 180 gr TB JSP

10 mm Fed 180 gr TB JSP

We recently tested 10 mm Federal 180 gr Trophy Bonded JSP (P10T1) fired from a Glock 20.

Average velocity was 1244 fps. At 25 yds on an NRA B8 target, slowfire accuracy was 96-4x.

BG: Pen = 16.2”, RD = 0.58”, RL = 0.48”, RW = 180.5 gr

Bare Gel: Far left is Speer .45 Auto 230 gr +P G2 control; then 5 recovered 10 mm Fed P10T1 bullets, with a dime to the right

Performance in 4LD and Autoglass was not stellar, in fact many good duty loads in standard service calibers offer better terminal performance for defensive use...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc,

To what do you attribute the less than optimal performance in 4LD and other mediums? Most service rounds seem to have a sweet spot in which things like projectile weight and velocity meet. When the ballistics fall below or above that line performance suffers. Does the 10mm fall into the catagory of "too much of a good thing"?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I suspect that since so few LE agencies issue 10 mm, let alone full power 10 mm loads, ammo engineers have little incentive to test most 10 mm projectiles against common intermediate barriers found in LE and defensive shooting environments.

About the best 10 mm LE/defensive loads we have tested are the Federal 190 gr bonded JHP (XM1003A) at about 900-925 fps and the Federal 180 gr Tactical (LE10T1) at about 1000 fps--both giving penetration around 13-16", RD of about 0.62", and good weight retention through most intermediate barriers. Unfortunately, since this is similar to many .40 loads, most 10 mm shooters desire a much higher velocity for their 10 mm loads, despite making their handguns much hard to shoot accurately at speed. As noted in another thread, while 10 mm is a great SMG cartridge, I have little use for it in handguns these days, as most common service calibers perform as well or better for defensive use against biped predators. In wilderness settings, 10 mm is still just a handgun and is no substitute for a 12 ga shotgun with slugs or a large caliber rifle.

Was it consistently long on penetration?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That .45 G2 looks darn good how did it do? compared to the poor performing G2 9mm ? ...

As I said in the G20 thread, those recovered TB bullets look just what I expect my recovered rifle bullets to look like in elk/moose/caribou sized animals, and ideal for my use of 10mm. I have shot Trophy Bonded bullets quite a bit in .375 H&H, and recovered bullets look very much the same. I have shot a brown bear, Cape buffalo, lion and a scad of plains game animals with Trophy Bonded -- a great bullet, except on lighter, thin skinned game, where it tends to zip through without expanding.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As I said in the G20 thread, those recovered TB bullets look just what I expect my recovered rifle bullets to look like in elk/moose/caribou sized animals, and ideal for my use of 10mm. I have shot Trophy Bonded bullets quite a bit in .375 H&H, and recovered bullets look very much the same. I have shot a brown bear, Cape buffalo, lion and a scad of plains game animals with Trophy Bonded -- a great bullet, except on lighter, thin skinned game, where it tends to zip through without expanding.
    +1. More specialty penetration loads from the major makers would be helpful.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JHC--The 10 mm loads were NOT penetrating deep like good .44 Mag loads--say a Hornady XTP in 180, 240, or 300 gr.

lyodbraun--The G2's seem to be suffering from an engineering issue which will need to be rectified, much like the original HST.

I don't think the 10mm will ever see it's true potential for anti-personnel use unless someone designs a purpose built 200-220gr bullet made for that velocity envelope.

The available solids could use some work as well, Federal could easily make one of the CastCore types for that line of ammo.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Cast Core is the most common "commercial" hard cast load I see around Alaska. I bet there is more of it riding in .357, .41 mag and .44 mag revolvers than any other hard cast load in Alaska. The issue with a Federal Cast Core load in 10mm, is I am not sure it will be compatible with Glock OEM barrels. The hard cast has run fine in my 1066/1076.

DocGKR, what would be a good medium to test the Trophy Bonded load and simulate penetration in a bear's skull? Would a stack of 2x4's do it, or is there something more realistic? In light of your comments above, I would like to test the TB along with the Hornady 200 XTP (which has been my long running commercial load for my 10mm Glock pistols).
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List