Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum from 3" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The several 145-158 grain loads tested by the Bureau all penetrated the steel without failures. The ranges of penetration were from 18-25" after the barrier.

Interestingly, one of the .38 Special SWC loads tested (not a hollow point), penetrated 10.5" after the steel barrier at a muzzle velocity of 910 fps. None of the 158 SWC-HPs made it through the steel barriers though.
    I wonder if Rem/Fed/win use hard cast bullets when loading 158grSWC in 38spl

Anyone recall a 38spl loading using a 148gr SWC ? also was loaded in nickel case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I wonder if Rem/Fed/win use hard cast bullets when loading 158grSWC in 38spl

Anyone recall a 38spl loading using a 148gr SWC ? also was loaded in nickel case.
    They all use a fairly high antimony content, swaged bullet for their SWC ammo.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

RRob
    There is a 357magnum load I would use in a snub nosed 357magnum with Steel frame . I keep forgetting about it.

Its the short barrel Gold Dot load 135gr in 357magnum its under 1000 fps out of a 2inch barrel

Granted the 38spl+P 135GD would have less recoil . But I bet the 357magnum load with slightly more velocity would be more likely to expand and would be soft shooting in a 3inch GP100 or S&W 686

My apologies for dragging up an old post.

I'm trying to find appropriate carry ammo that does not present POA/POI problems in a 3" Mod 65 RB. I'd prefer to avoid 125gr, as I enjoy the forcing cone intact, but otherwise I am more interested in finding something that is close to POA. So far I have shot WWB 38spl 130 FMJ, which was generally POA. AE357Mag 158 JSP was about 4-5 inches high at 10 yards, while Critical Duty 357Mag 135gr was about 2-3 inches left at 10 yards, all assuming a 6 o'clock hold.

Do heavier bullets generally hit higher? Assuming that lighter bullets impact lower, what is the consensus on the 125 GDHP vs. 135 GDHP or some other suggestion? I'd really like to have a standard sight picture instead of 6 o'clock, but I like my K frame's forcing cone intact more than I like the standard sight picture.

Thanks,
    Greg

The .38 sp 135 gr +P GD is better than the 125 gr GD.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc,

Thanks for that, I really do not want to be stuck with 357/125 gr. For the 135 GDHP, is there a benefit between 38+p versus 357? My primary goal is achieving POA/POI with the fixed sights as opposed to terminal ballistics.

Thanks,
    Last edited by DpdG; 09-29-2015 at 06:27 AM.

I'm not doc, and never will be, but I do own a 3" RB model 65. 145 silver tip shoots to poa in mine. FBI loading screen are close enough, as well. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I really do not want to be stuck with 357/125 gr.
    Aside from checking POI, how many of them are you realistically going to shoot?

I have the same handgun and about 95% of the ammo that goes through it is my 38 Spcl +P LSWCHP reloads. The other 5% is 125 gr 357 , typically old school Federal or Remington loads, and that's mostly to remember how they feel in the hand. However, if the gun is ever used in anger it will be loaded with 125s

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Aside from checking POI, how many of them are you realistically going to shoot?

I have the same handgun and about 95% of the ammo that goes through it is my 38 Spcl +P LSWCHP reloads. The other 5% is 125 gr 357 , typically old school Federal or Remington loads, and that's mostly to remember how they feel in the hand. However, if the gun is ever used in anger it will be loaded with 125s
    K-Frame killers.

How do the 130gr Ranger-Ts stack up to the Gold Dots? I figure since they're .38s they won't kill my forcing cone. Or am I wrong here?

Thank you both for the info. After checking POI/ function, the carry ammo will likely get fired exactly 40 rounds a year, as that is the off duty quality course. I know that's likely no where near the volume necessary to put the forcing come in jeapordy, but still I'd rather avoid potentially self destructive loadings if possible. Again, the deciding factor right now is POA/POI.

User Tag List