Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 40s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It's not, a friend had to ask them to build it, apparently wasn't a big issue for them to do.
    Thanks, I may try that out.

I've heard people claim the HK P30 are highly accurate.
    One of the reason I bought one (P30S V3).

Like I said earlier my P229 40S&W is the most accurate pistol I have.

But to be fair I haven't tried any 9mm handloads yet.

Bill you might look into a HK P30 40S&W . there are a few owners here.

A 1911 in .40 is a great idea if you have a mountain of free ammo. Although some guys have figured out how to make a 10rd magazine out of a reworked Tripp. So thats cool also. Me? I am not a fan of the caliber in a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    Me? I am not a fan of the caliber in a 1911.
    With a leading comment like that, ya had ta know this was coming.... Why's that?

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    With a leading comment like that, ya had ta know this was coming.... Why's that?

Because mag design for the 40 is woefully lacking, while the 9mm mage design is catching up to where it needs to be quite nicely.

The 40 has enough ass to make a 1911 work nicely, ammo is plentiful, there is a *sea* of cheap/free brass, and if an ammo maker decided to load a 40 2/3 of the OAL of the difference between it and the 10mm, they'd likely have the most reliable feeding 1911 round ever.

This is primarily because it has a good rim design. The 45s rim is poorly engineered.

If you are a handloader, there is no reason for a 9mm 1911. It's a less than awesome idea. The 9 just will never have the momentum needed to operate a 1911 with the authority it needs.

YMMV, TIFWIW, etc

One data point. Of everything he shoots, Robbie Leatham likes a single stack best. Favorite single stack 1911 is in .40 followed by 9mm. He likes Tripp 10mm mags, with the .40 loaded long. Shoots .40 in minor and major loadings. His .40 1911, shooting minor, is very soft.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I currently have three 40s - a Glock 35 used for HD with a light, a Glock 20 with KKM 40 conversion barrel set up for USPSA Limited, and a ParaOrdnance P16 customized for USPSA Limited. I like the G35 and one appeal for it is the easy availability of used 40 mags available cheaply (plus I can take it to Glock Smyrna for inspection another appeal is you can add a 40 to 9 conversion barrel). I always enjoyed my P16 for competition - it is one of the early Canadian P16s and it has been very reliable - it normally shot my lead reloads and I loaded "long" usually with 175 LSWC.

The Glock 20 with the KKM 40 conversion barrel is a "sleeper" - no issues with functioning with "normal" 40 length ammo or "long" reloads using unmodified G20 10 mm mags. I believe the G20 was the heaviest OEM Glock (that may have changed with new G40, G41, etc - it used to be the heaviest). G20 designed for 10mm has no issues with 40 versus the 9mm guns "upsized" to 40. As noted, some people find the G20 too big.

About 1911/2011 in 40 - one comment I have not seen is brass availability for reloading. When I started shooting, 45 brass was readily available - now it is harder to find cheap 45 brass. 9 and 40 brass is much more readily available now - that may be another reason that high volume shooters are using 40 even in single stacks now.

As far as trying to chamber a 1911 style pistol in .40 and make it work reliably, where does the Springfield EMP fit into all this? As I recall, early on there were numerous complaints that the 40 version was less reliable than the 9mm, but I never heard if that was a cartridge issue, a magazine issue, a short barrel issue or some combination of all these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Because mag design for the 40 is woefully lacking, while the 9mm mage design is catching up to where it needs to be quite nicely.

The 40 has enough ass to make a 1911 work nicely, ammo is plentiful, there is a *sea* of cheap/free brass, and if an ammo maker decided to load a 40 2/3 of the OAL of the difference between it and the 10mm, they'd likely have the most reliable feeding 1911 round ever.

This is primarily because it has a good rim design. The 45s rim is poorly engineered.

If you are a handloader, there is no reason for a 9mm 1911. It's a less than awesome idea. The 9 just will never have the momentum needed to operate a 1911 with the authority it needs.

YMMV, TIFWIW, etc
    This must happen. What if all the energy Cooper put into the Bren 10 and 10mm had gone into a long .40 in 1911?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

If you are a handloader, there is no reason for a 9mm 1911. It's a less than awesome idea.

YMMV, TIFWIW, etc
    Ive wondered about this. Having dropped hints over at 1911 Forum, I've in fact felt kind of lonely. Here's my story:

A little less than 2 years ago, I decided to take up Bullseye shooting. After a league/match or two, I ordered a 1911, dedicated BE pistol, complete with Ultra Dot red dot and set up for very light loads. Waiting for this pistol to be built, I took out the 17# recoil spring I had been using in a CQB and put in a 15#er. I then loaded ammo with 200 SWCs that traveled somewhere around halfway between Major PF and BE/wad gun loads. The gun worked great. I didn't, but thats another story - well maybe not. I was told my new BE pistol was built to run with 185 SWC or Button style bullets and 4.0 grains of Bullseye. For comparison, a "major" 45 load, (just in case, for folks who don't reload), is something like a 200 grain bullet and 4.7-.8 grains of Bullseye, (one of Bill's favorite loads). Others in our league were shooting their match 1911s with 185s and loads as low as 3.7 grains. The advantage, I came to understand when shooting rapid fire/turning targets, is pretty clear. Over the past year Ive worked with another BE smith to tweak my pistol to run with loads this light. For the record, having just chronographed these, we're talking 185 SWC @ 700 FPS, (that might actually make minor PF, though it was not a goal). One of the adjustments made to my match pistol was to lower the recoil spring weight to 7#! Standard is of course 17-18. Here's where it gets interesting and relates to Bill's comment above. Getting more comfortable with the interplay of springs and loads, and being curious, I went back to the CQB, I had used as an interim BE gun. I installed a 13# recoil spring, (keep in mind its a normal looking CQB with fixed sights, no rib and red dot). I went to the range and shot the same 3.7 grain ammo I use in the dedicated BE gun. Hundreds of rounds later, they've all gone bang. Accuracy is superb, rivaling the match pistol, albeit the comparison is limited by irons vs the red dot. Last week a friend came to our range with a very nice 1911/9mm. He does not reload. First he shot some factory 9mm ball against some reloads loaded to make minor, and noticed the difference - reloads were easier. Then he ran his 9/1911 against the CQB/45 with BE ammo. He turned with a shocked look on his face, declaring the 45 obviously easier to shoot.

I get, that for those who don't reload, the nine is a lower cost, lower recoiling alternative to a 1911/45 with factory ball. Since that same 45 can be re-sprung and returned to major PF ammo, and used accordingly, the flexibility of the 45 seems hard to deny. To Bill's point, (at the risk of overlooking something, Im not are of), the argument for buying a 1911 chambered for the Luger cartridge is something other than performance based, it would seem.

User Tag List