Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 40s

40s

What's the current king of the 40 hill?

Accuracy, durability, etc

I'd say a short extractor P226 or a USP. If I wanted a .40 it'd be in one of those.

Vending Machine Operator
    I like my PX4 Fullsize a lot. After 6.5 years I've never had an stoppage, malfunction, or breakage, it's in excellent shape, and recoil is extremely manageable. I've fed it varying weights of Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, Ranger-Ts, XTPs, Hi-Shoks, and HST (the current load) with no bobbles. Estimate about a 7,000 round count. Low 'round these parts.

I think the P229 is mentioned quite a lot in this discussion and from my limited time on the platform (~ 500 rounds) I would agree that it's a great .40

I have about 250 rounds through an M&P 40 fullsize and it handled .40 well, but in my opinion not as good as my PX4 and not quite as good as the 229. Maybe about equal to the 229.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

2011 Limited gun
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Colt .45 Malt Liquor in some circles are the preferred 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

M&P 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post

Both the 229 and the M&P 40 handle the recoil fairly well, and seem to be durable. Accuracy? With a .40? No doubt that there are some pretty expensive pistols that are pretty accurate, but my own impression is that if you want terrific accuracy the .40 might not be the way to go.

The only two i enjoy shooting are the M&P and the Beretta 96 series.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Gen 4 Glock22. Normally I wouldn't say a Glock in .40 is worth anything from a reliability standpoint, but the Gen 4's have impressed me. I think they've had some teething issues (like most companies), but I think they are running well now. The dozen or so that I see regularly all shoot in the 2" range, offhand at 25 for me. The couple thousand that I "know" about are also running well.

Tough to beat a 229, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Gen 4 Glock22. Normally I wouldn't say a Glock in .40 is worth anything from a reliability standpoint, but the Gen 4's have impressed me. I think they've had some teething issues (like most companies), but I think they are running well now. The dozen or so that I see regularly all shoot in the 2" range, offhand at 25 for me. The couple thousand that I "know" about are also running well.

Tough to beat a 229, though.
    I agree with the gen4 G22 as well. I have put about 15k through a gen4 G35, both Major and minor reloads and factory .40 fmj and have had no issues. About 5k of those rounds were with a light or frame weight attached to the rail with the stock recoil spring assembly, and I have not had any malfunctions with factory magazines.

User Tag List